Which Reg Should I Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a few free flow problems with my current reg and have not been able to resolve the problem with my dive shop to my satisfaction. Since I am no longer confident in this reg, I've decided to simply buy a new one.

Nine will get you ten that your free flow problems are in the second stage. Ask your LDS to "detune" your reg to make it breath a bit harder. Simple fix that takes no longer than 10 minutes.

If free flow is only a problem for you when your 2nd stage is not totally flooded with water,detuning a regulator may solve the problem but who wants a hard breathing regulator?
Atomic's AFC feature automatically extends a restriction device (like your thumb over the mouthpiece) into the air tube. It does it's job but the reg can still be induced to free flow at the surface if you try hard enough.
Anyconventional high performance regulator that won't free flow at the air/water interface is not properly tuned.

The problem is almost certainly with your dive shop, not the regulator. Sorry!

Excellent mid-range regulators include the aqualung titan, SP MK11/(lots of 2nd stage options) and many others. For the kind of diving you described, almost any regulator that's in good working condition and adjusted well will perform just fine. What do you have now? Are you sure you don't just want to find someone who can fix it?

I have a good friend who had a similar problem, the local shop couldn't make his reg work so he bought a new one online, used it for a year, then didn't want to bother getting it serviced. (He would have had to send it back to the online store.) At that point I suggested he buy a used MK10/G250 for about $150, which he did, I rebuilt it for him, that was 3 years ago. I just checked it out, it's still working flawlessly. All it takes is: a regulator with a simple, proven design, someone with a bit of competence and patience, and a reasonable amount of care by the owner.

Back
Top Bottom