Which SLR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some impotant questions need to be answered. What are your goals? What do you want to photograph? Will you use the camera on land as well, and for what? How much can you spend? What are you going to do with the images, ie., just post on the web or make posters?

There are tons of options out there and everyone will tell you what their favorite is. The fact is it's the photographer that makes a good picture. Therefore, find something in your price range that you're comfortable with and has the features you're looking for. And make sure you can hold it in your hands before buying it. Cameras handle differently and you want one you're comfortable with.

Ulrika,

Nice to see you on the Board! I suggest you get used equipment -- there should be some tech fiends who want the latest equipment and will part with their "older" equipment for way cheaper. I remember that someone sold via this forum his Nikon D100 camera, lenses and Aquatica housing/ports for about 1/2 of what he paid.

You saw my camera setup when I was there 1 1/2 weeks ago -- Fuji S2 Pro/Nikon lenses, Aquatica housing/ports, Sea & Sea DX-90 strobes, Sea & Sea dual cable, and Ultralight arms. I've had the setup for about 2 years now and don't plan to "upgrade"; you've seen some of my photos already so you can get an idea of what you can squeeze out of the camera. In my experience, magazine editors love the 65 megabyte TIFF files that the Fuji S2 RAW files convert to.

Sometimes I wish I could have a smaller setup to get into those nooks and crannies in rocks and coral for a shot, and that live screen sure was handy, but the overall jump in quality/color saturation and instantaneous shutter will prevail over the ease of your 5060.

Do you remember Elias' setup? He has the Canon Rebel in a Fantasea housing, which has a separate housing for the Canon external flash. His setup was very compact, but the stock strobe is in my opinion not strong enough to illuminate most underwater shots.

Feel free to e-mail me privately for any Qs.

Caio,

Marlo

P.S., Paige is flying out to San Francisco on Thursday to party with me, Eddie, Elias, and Julie. We managed to find a Filipiino store that sells kalamansi juice so we can make a boatload of Ton-Tonics...I'll send you incriminating photos...stay tuned! And please say Hi to Regina, Rusty, Allan, Ton-Ton, Eddy and the rest. We'll be back there soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom