Which Snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to agree, snorkels are useless unless you decide to snorkel during a surface interval.

I had to dig mine out of the closet before my recent trip to the Caribbean.

GrahamK:
I have just done my Padi OWD and love it. So am looking to buy my own mask and snorkel. Decided on the Mares X Vision, as gets loads of good reviews. But can't find much on snorkels.
Have been looking at anti splash types like the Mares Stream Dry or the Cressi Aplha 1 or 2.
Will be wanting the snorkel for diving but also snorkelling.
If the vote goes for Cressi. Then Alpha 1 or 2?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First, there is only one thing important about a mask. IT MUST FIT YOUR FACE. Reviews mean nothing.

My favorite mask is a cheap, black-skirted double-lens that is extremely low volume. The reason I like it, however, is that it seals real nicely without a lot of pressure on my face. I have a ScubaPro "wide view" mask and that works acceptably for me too, but I still prefer the other one.

All other considerations are secondary. If it does not seal properly and likes to leak, you will be MISERABLE. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt and it BITES.

As for a snorkel, are you going to snorkel or dive? Seriously.

If you want one, I would buy one with a straight barrel, perhaps an anti-splash (but not "valved") top, and a bottom purge. And get one with a significant-size barrel.

Just understand one thing about snorkels - other than the "valved" type they will ALL leak LOTS of water in if you are in rough open water. Further, if you're face down you will NOT see the wave that is about to curl over the top and flood the snorkel, making it real easy to get a breath full of water instead of air. The valved ones will simply CUT OFF the air when a wave breaks over them, which is bad too, as they will not "open" again until you stop sucking, which of course is the last thing you're considering doing when you try to draw a breath against a vacuum!

In rough open water if you cannot breathe off the tank (its empty!) you are, generally, better off inflating your BC fully and using it like a raft while floating on your BACK. This takes practice, so get some in a pool if you must. Also, a steel tank helps as it provides a "keel" - an AL tank will try to flip you over as its positive and under you, which is not good.

In calm water, for snorkeling, well, snorkels are very nice. They're ok for long surface swims in calm water too. Just don't be sanguine about using them in open water under less-than-calm conditions.

Since you plan on snorkeling a lot, don't skimp on a crummy snorkel. The best one I've used are Oceanmaster's (I have three of them). There's a "flex" model that's better for scuba. Like other dry snorkels it's not good if you freedive, as they tend to suck your tongue up into the tube (ouch!) at depth.
For scuba they're bulky, even for a snorkel. This drives tech divers nuts.

I simply take the thing off when the surface conditions don't warrant having a snorkel. Most people will tell you the same thing. If you don't need it, don't wear it.

archman:
Since you plan on snorkeling a lot, don't skimp on a crummy snorkel. The best one I've used are Oceanmaster's (I have three of them). There's a "flex" model that's better for scuba. Like other dry snorkels it's not good if you freedive, as they tend to suck your tongue up into the tube (ouch!) at depth.
For scuba they're bulky, even for a snorkel. This drives tech divers nuts.

I simply take the thing off when the surface conditions don't warrant having a snorkel. Most people will tell you the same thing. If you don't need it, don't wear it.

You can also use all 7 feet of it as an excellent pole vaulting implement as well.

d33ps1x:
You can also use all 7 feet of it as an excellent pole vaulting implement as well.

Oh COME ON! It's barely 6 feet...

Snorkel? whats that? Just kidding...

I would buy a simple one that does not cost much. this is one item that you dont need to spend a lot on.

The mask must fit you, not a review so don't guy by that or popular opinion. Pick out a mask based on the fit and features that YOU want. Make sure it's 100% surgical grade silicone, not just "silicone" or it won't last and it won't be as flexible so it won't fit your face as well. After time the lower grade silicone masks get harder and everything goes downhill from there...

A snorkel is an important piece of equipment for safety and comfort. If you're going to use it for a lot of snorkeling, spend a little more and get one that will make snorkeling more comfortable and save you some energy, less fighting the waves and no swallowing water. The techs hate snorkels, but if you're not a tech diver...as a sport diver I can attest that a snorkel has saved my life at least 4 times. One other big reason to have a snorkel is when the Dolphins come swimming by on our surface intervals we could jump in the water and spend an hour with them while the people without snorkels were worthless and didn't last long at all.

The Aeris Barracuda dry snorkel is great, but you really need a different snorkel keeper on it. The snorkel keeper that's attached is so "versatile" that the snorkel will actually spin around while you're diving or when the snorkel is out of your mouth (in a current or while swimming around). It is slimmer than the Ocean Master Dry Snorkel, but the OM Dry Snorkel is a great snorkel too.

Whatever you choose, it needs to fit you not popular opinion. There are lots of great snorkels out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom