Whidbey Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am interested in directions to the Octopus Hole.

I run the La Conner Edward Jones Investments office. Who is your family?

About Keystone...I was told only to dive it when the current is slack or when there is a flood 1 knot or less. Looking at the current tables I'm hard pressed to find a time, expect at night, when the current is even close to 1 knot. Any advice on this?

GreyIII:

I run the La Conner Edward Jones Investments office. Who is your family?

About Keystone...I was told only to dive it when the current is slack or when there is a flood 1 knot or less. Looking at the current tables I'm hard pressed to find a time, expect at night, when the current is even close to 1 knot. Any advice on this?

Usually this is a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary)...

Since the current SPLITS in the middle of the jetty (about 2/3rds of the way out looking at the surface), if it gets too stiff anywhere along the dive, you become a bottom crawler for a couple of moments and then it is all over.. sort of :11:

I have had some abslutely wonderful dives when the current has supposedly been less than optimal.... and vice versa...

Jeff

Of course that would be an ideal time to dive, but it dosen't HAVE to be that way to dive it.

My aunt, Debbie Banta... and my almost step-uncle Larry Nootenboom live out there. They bought the huse from my grandpa, Richard Banta, and his wife (my step-grandma) Alfie Hill (now Banta). I don't know if you know any of them or not, but thats who they are!

Oh yeah, I know Richard and Alfie. I met them two summers ago when I was first opening shop! Nice people!

So you can dive Keystone during less than optimal currents.

What do you mean you become a bottom crawler then it's all over?

GreyIII:
So you can dive Keystone during less than optimal currents.

What do you mean you become a bottom crawler then it's all over?

Some people can dive Keystone on less than optimal tides ... others shouldn't. Depends entirely on your diving skills.

The current here predominantly runs toward the jetty from the direction of the old pilings (on your left as you're looking out from the beach). When it hits the jetty, the current splits ... the shallowest portion will push you back toward the beach, the middle portion will tend to be fairly benign, and as you approach the deeper portion (from about 40 fsw and deeper) the current picks up ... sometimes dramatically. You can go from no current to drift diving in seconds. You need to stay aware of your surroundings and react quickly.

What Jeff means by "bottom crawler" is that if the current pulls you out a bit too far, you dump all your air, grab rocks, and pull yourself back along the bottom till you are back in the "neutral zone".

This isn't an optimal dive plan (far from it, to my concern) ... and the penalty for not responding quickly enough is a ride across an active ferry lane, landing on the opposite side at Fort Casey, and a loooong walk back.

And I've seen it happen ... more than once.

Better to plan your dive properly. Pick up a copy of Steve Fishnaller's book "Northwest Shore Dives" ... it contains valuable informtion about this and other popular dive sites ... including current corrections for properly calculating when slack current occurs at this dive site.

If you have reasonably strong diving skills, and are not too particular about taking chances, then go ahead and play roulette with the current. Otherwise, follow the advice in the book ... which will tell you to dive this site 1/2 hour before slack to 1/2 hour after slack, except on days when there is very little tidal exchange.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

GreyIII:

Octopus Hole is somewhat north of Hoodsport, on Hwy 101. How you get there depends on where in Seattle you are, either on the ferry, or south through Olympia and then north on Hwy 101.

Stop at one of the dive shops in Hoodsport (one there, one south) and ask directions as its just a wide spot on the highway and then a trek down the bank. Sund Rock is much nicer and far more interesting. Its also near Hoodsport.

MD

Staying closer to shore will work best for me...right now.

With my luck I'd get a personal meet and greet with the ferry.

Thanks for all the help.

This isn't an optimal dive plan (far from it, to my concern) ... and the penalty for not responding quickly enough is a ride across an active ferry lane, landing on the opposite side at Fort Casey, and a loooong walk back.

You and me both... and I don't think that the ferry servcices appreciate it very much... I think its just a matter of time before a ferry tangles with a diver and things get messy.....,

GreyIII... small world isn't it? I start talking to you on a board that has members from all over the world... but you know my grandparents...... crazy!

Kayla

NWGratefulDiver:
Some people can dive Keystone on less than optimal tides ... others shouldn't. Depends entirely on your diving skills.

The current here predominantly runs toward the jetty from the direction of the old pilings (on your left as you're looking out from the beach). When it hits the jetty, the current splits ... the shallowest portion will push you back toward the beach, the middle portion will tend to be fairly benign, and as you approach the deeper portion (from about 40 fsw and deeper) the current picks up ... sometimes dramatically. You can go from no current to drift diving in seconds. You need to stay aware of your surroundings and react quickly.

What Jeff means by "bottom crawler" is that if the current pulls you out a bit too far, you dump all your air, grab rocks, and pull yourself back along the bottom till you are back in the "neutral zone".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But Bob, as we both know...... Even on a well planned dive, Keystone can be infinitely finicky and treacherous. I would always recommend that the dive be planned for "optimal conditions". Alas, Keystone Jetty doesn't know how to read and certainly follows it's own plan! But then again, it usually is a very nice dive :crafty:

Jeff

And that's why they call 'em "predictions" ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom