Whistle or Dive Alert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I added a Dive Alert to my kit a couple years ago. It is Always connected inline in the LP hose. I added it because my whistle just wasn't loud enough in a real lost diver situation.

I had a failure of the access plug that started to vent breathing gas overboard. Saw the bubbles, after all they were right in my face. Disconnected the LP hose. Removed the DiveAlert and reconnected the hose. NBD.

Back on land I contacted the DiveAlert folks. Then sent me a replacement plug. I did the R&R and all was well.

Lesson: Buy a DiveAlert. Connect it any time you are doing a dive where you may need to attract attention. It don't work under water so leave it at home if you are going in a cave. Don't worry about it being, or not being DIR. It is your life so use what works, DiveAlert. (No there is not financial interest involved. I just respect a good product)

PS: I also carry a whistle. Can't have enough noisemakers when you need to attract attention :)

vbcoachchris:
There is a special DIR version of the dive alert avalible through 5th D. It only has a connection for the LP hose. The BC connection has been removed and replaced with a HP port plug. It is attached to a bolt snap via cave line and carried in the pocket unless needed.

Ok, I'll bite.

Why does it matter if you have a HP port plug in place of the BCD connection point if the device is going to live in your drysuit pocket until its needed?

Atticus:
Ok, I'll bite.

Why does it matter if you have a HP port plug in place of the BCD connection point if the device is going to live in your drysuit pocket until its needed?
If you are on the surface and have already put air into your BCD then you don't need to make the Dive Alert to BCD connection.

By blanking off the end, you both reduce size and replace a Schrader valve with a port plug. Of course, if the Schrader valve did fail, the solution is simply to connect the Dive Alert to the BC. So by blanking it off, you have eliminated a failure point that would cause you to delay a few moments and connect up the BC side.

It also gives you a reason to play around with your gear and do some more modifications :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom