Help deciding!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exploreoregon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK so here's the scoop..

I have a MK17 that was recently serviced, and now has a slight whistle to it. It's already got 30+ dives to 100ft in hawaii on our last trip a month ago. Seems fine, but annoying and will be sent off for service. But I leave for a dive trip to San Diego in 5 days and don't have time to get this done before I leave.

I have a brand new, never used, just serviced MK10. I also have another MK10, mk25, and mk20 that all are freshly service.

The 2nd stages I use are a G250 primary, G260 back up. Or G260 primary, A700 backup. Sometimes 250 primary, s600 backup

If I were we to switch from the MK17 due to the whistle, which 1st should I take?

I know people love the Mk10. I, being a big fan of latest and greatest, find it hard to believe it can still hang in with the modern MK17, MK25 and the like. If it were you, what would you take to San Diego!?!?

Are the MK10 first stages still relevant!?

Thank you all for your help

freshly serviced gear is not dive trip gear, but you already told me that

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
I am for the MK10.
Simple and reliable...
And you can have it sealed and packed with silicon grease.
Of course the MK20/25 is a great first stage, but absolutely unneeded with a G250-G260.
And requires more careful rinsing than my sealed MK10.
I would consider the MK20/25 only if paired with a D400.
As I love vintage equipment, I would choose a MK10 with DIN conversion kit and a couple of identical G250V as my dream setup.
Or a pair of 156CE, even better!

freshly serviced gear is not dive trip gear, but you already told me that
I agree. Anything that hasn't been proven to work is suspect. So is it your opinion to take the MK17, knowing that it works well, albeit annoying.

What would you consider to be a "proof" dive? How deep? How many dives? We always go to the pool before a trip to shake everything down, weight check vs. Last trip etc. Does the fact that it's 120min+ outweighs that it's only 12ft?

If it were I, take the Mk25 with desired seconds and pack the Mk17. If you have any issues with the Mk25 you have a known backup, albeit noisy. I would also pool test the Mk25 before going.

If it were I, take the Mk25 with desired seconds and pack the Mk17. If you have any issues with the Mk25 you have a known backup, albeit noisy. I would also pool test the Mk25 before going.
That sounds like a solid plan. Easy enough to pack the Mk17.

What's the consensus on the MK10 still being relevant in todays modern regs? It certainly looks well built, and I love the idea of simplicity. I will admit that the MK17 leaves a little to be desired as far as hose routing. Being I use a long hose primary, the idea of bringing the primary out of the bottom port will free up a little space. The swivel would be a nice touch.

I will leave the comments on the Mk10 to the vintage guys, I just dive more recent regulators. Although a metal front G250 does look inviting. I enjoy my Mk25 and S600s.

Gear is relevant as long as parts can be gotten to service it reasonably easy and performance matches current products. The G250 is a still a top performing regulator and fully serviceable. The Mark 10 less so IMO. Same for the Mark V. Since I have some parts stash, I can keep mine (Mark V/X) relevant to my diving for years yet but that might not be the case for you. Side by side, same day and same dives, the G250 is almost indecernable from a G260. The Micro Adjust is a good feature making it easier to set up and the purge lock is also nice to preserve the seat. But regardless, the G250 is no slouch and uses the same basic service parts.

Gear is relevant as long as parts can be gotten to service it reasonably easy and performance matches current products. The G250 is a still a top performing regulator and fully serviceable. The Mark 10 less so IMO. Same for the Mark V. Since I have some parts stash, I can keep mine (Mark V/X) relevant to my diving for years yet but that might not be the case for you. Side by side, same day and same dives, the G250 is almost indecernable from a G260. The Micro Adjust is a good feature making it easier to set up and the purge lock is also nice to preserve the seat. But regardless, the G250 is no slouch and uses the same basic service parts.
I absolutely love the G250. Ranking them for work of breathing, mouth feel, etc I would put my regs as follows
#1 G250
#2 S600
#3 G260
In a far distant last place finish...
#4 A700

I absolutely love the G250. Ranking them for work of breathing, mouth feel, etc I would put my regs as follows
#1 G250
#2 S600
#3 G260
In a far distant last place finish...
#4 A700

Yes. I might place the G250/G250V/G260 on the same level, but, yes, I would agree. I have used the A700 only once in a pool but it seemed less comfortable, felt heavier in the water. But, I did not have a dive with it and might would change my mind after real use. Many divers love the A700 and it ain't no slouch either!

Back
Top Bottom