White lies told by your LDS when you first started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quest once bubbled...
I was told by my YMCA Instructor

"We cant let you dive with your hose being so long its to dangerous. Your going to have to rent a reg set from us if you want to dive"

Oh my god, how incredibly frustrating! What did you do about it? Did you dive?

...I ain't touchin' that bait up there... :D Very tempting, but that hook is waaaay too obvious, Doc. :eek:ut:

NetDoc once bubbled...
computers rot your brain.

:tease:

there ya go... five lures in da water!

<nibble nibble nibble>

Okay, so if computers rot yer brain, what does that say for all of us on SCUBA Board that use computers to log on to read it???

And what about those supposedly "smart computer geeks" that know all about how to fix them thar contraptions an such? Does that mean they have advanced brain rot? :D

NetDoc once bubbled...
back plates and wings are best for single tanks.

C'mon Doc, everyone KNOWS that a TPII is the best for a single tank diver...

to learn to scuba dive?

lds: well, the class costs $150.

period. end of sentence, discussion. only much later did i find out about books, equipment purchase, equipment rental, etc. etc. etc.

make that $150 more like $600.....

Well…. Our LDS caters to commercial and Navy divers, so they were straight with us. I was too ignorant (and paranoid) at the time to realize that they were telling it like it is. Problem is most of the people there have less dives than I do. The experienced divers told me …. You will want a drysuit, back inflation, NITROX. I kept saying… I’ll only dive in the tropics. I do not need that stuff. Two years later… I have all of that stuff.

I do wish the staff were more experienced. There is one guy with 5000+ dives (no joke, caves, Doria.…..) the rest are less then 50.

I guess they are an exception. BTW the 5K+ guy and I talk GUE on at times. I think he is streaching/growing .... The shop is another question.

1st Visit.
Apeks? Never heard of them, must be a cheap and nasty copy of something.

2nd Visit.
Oh, about your Apeks, I found out they are zeagles, just a cheaper version, made for the rental market.

:rolleyes:

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I was told...

Force fins were the best.

well i can tell the sarcastic tone in that one through the internet but mike why would you consider that statement that was made to you a lie ?

Scubatooth once bubbled...

well i can tell the sarcastic tone in that one through the internet but mike why would you consider that statement that was made to you a lie ?

Because I later found out that that instructors opinion on what is best changes weekly depending on what new things he has to sell. Also of course because I used those fins long enough to know they are not the best. In fact I have use many different fins and I like tham all better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom