who brings their cameras on every dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
i have the same idea but it cant seem to materialize. am planning to make a rig that connects my a95 to the two chest d rings.

Here's a pic of my camera rig. There are opposing strap attachment points on the underwater housing. The heavy retractor clips to the right chest D-ring, and the left male clip connects to it's female counterpart on the left chest D-ring. When I'm not taking photos, the harness keeps the camera fairly snug against the chest. When I feel like taking photos, I unclip the left buckle, and release the retractor lock (it's an adjustable type).

If I need my hands real quick for something (like moving a rock), the heavy-duty retractor reels the camera back onto my right chest D-ring. It flops around a bit. If the floppiness becomes a problem, I can always just refasten the the left buckle, and poof! The camera's 2-point secured once more.

My housing has those new Canon modular weights, to offset the housing's inherent buoyancy. Great item to get if you don't have a tray or other attachment to weight your camera down.

Your camera is bigger, and has a larger housing. Your BCD may also have different D-ring locations than my TransPac II. But attachment accessories are cheap, and you could probably get something similar if not identical to work for you.

Here is my latest one...that is not me in the photo...i took it

_DSC1000.jpg

Warren...do you really need that second set of extensions? Try it with just the one, they look like 12s which is good enough...

Spoon:
true, true i guess il be taking it on every dive i just have to design a rig to keep it secure on place, when i attach it to my d rings it flops around!

Carlo, are you using the WP-DC50 housing? If you are just using the camera by itself with no external lights etc, you could just tie a boltsnap to the housing and clip it off to the left chest D-ring—Canon housing (without the case weight) will float and pretty much put itself under your left arm and out of the way—just don’t unclip your backup light by mistake. :D

Since I got my 1st camera I haven't done a single dive without it. Now I'm planning on going to Thailand for xmas and as my 8080 with pt-023 is quite huge I'm quite douptful about taking it with me on a nite dive. Since I don't have a strobe or arm I would need to take a torch in my left and camera in my right hand. It worked well with canon a70 but 8080 is just huge compared to that. I still bet I'm going to give it a shot :) There are so many small critters to shoot in nite dives.

I didn't know you could dive without a camera? I thought it was required safety equipment. After all, it keeps the great whites away.

The only times I've dived without my camera were times the housing was in the shop for repairs. I tried to think of what to do... oh, yah, practice skills. Then I bought a backup housing and now I never have to leave home without it!

I almost always bring my video camera on every dive. If I don't bring my video camera, I usually take my wife's digital camera. Either way, there is always a camera with us on a dive. I think that if I didn't bring one, I would probably see a whale shark, or a pod of dolphins, and then nobody would believe me.

Spoon:
guys i have been the unluckiest diver when it comes to the perfect shots. seems like when the best oppurtunities for "the perfect shot" emerge, i always end up without my camera. usually in a 4 dive a day stint, il bring my camera twice and take mediocre shots but on those two dives i dont bring my camera thast when the best moments occur!

any of you guys experience the same thing? should i bring my camera for that just in case for that money shot?

It's that guy Murphy. I think he likes to mess with our minds. He will keep getting to you if you leave your camera behind - use it all times to ward him off - kind of like crosses for evil spirits.

Bring the camera every dive. Hard to imangine diving without it. If there is a ripping current and I am with the wife is about the only situation I leave it behind.

I'm in the water about 1/3 of the time:

>The wife wants to take photos too, and we recripicate at being good buddies while the other one is engrossed in the camera.

>I rarely enter the water without a good mental image of the shots I'm going to get. That's because on the dive before, I "scouted" out the images and subjects, no camera in hand.

All the best, James

I always take a camera, on dry land and underwater. I rarely go anywhere without some kind of camera.

Back
Top Bottom