Who dives with 2 computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a general rule:
Local shore recreational NDL diving-- 1
Paid charter boat diving-- 2
Technical diving-- 2

I dive 2 computers.
One is air only the other is Nitrox capable.

I keep the nitrox computer out of deco and clear the air one (If needed) before surfacing when diving nitrox.

Edit for clarity.

OP asked what % non-newbie dive with 2. I’ve no facts, guess it is a low percentage. Most that do probably have up-graded when one was still functioning. I use 2 of the same for a variety of reasons and they have several timing functions.

I don’t think a watch need be expensive. When I considered replacing the one I lost WalMart had a $16 one that looked suitable.

As a Newbie I bought one computer. Then I went on an expensive trip where I saw someone else's computer fail. As soon as I came home I bought the second one. Now, other than local dives I always dive with both. Why?

Economics; purely and simply economics. It is cheaper to use two computers than it is to lose a day of expensive trip diving if I only had one and had to revert to tables.

It is not safety as no matter what the dive environment I'm prepared with a plan on what to do if any piece of gear fails, including a computer. So, one computer and a watch does just fine for safety.

But, learn from me and get the same brand for both computers. I have two different brands. Their algorithms are very similar and comparible. But, one requires me to reset nitrox percentage after every dive and the other every calendar day. That is a pain and generates its' own difficulties.

I always have an analog backup. I dive a Suunto Cobra, but I have a Citizen Promaster watch as my backup. At least if the computer craps out, I have my max. depth and dive time, to give me reasonable values to apply with the tables.

I don't know what the big deal is. I dive 2 computers, a D9 wireless and a Cobra on a hose. Everything is packed away nicely when I dive, nothing dangling so I have no problems. So what if someone wants to dive more than one computer?

And nothing about task loading, a new diver will probably be more situationally aware if they have spent the money on two and want to get their monies worth... :wink:

Hi all,

I dive with one computer, with analog backup.

1 dive computer on right wrist, 1 dive watch and compass on left wrist, spg with analog depth gauge; plastic dive table in BC pocket.

This works just fine for me, but 99% of my dives are easy, shallow, 2-tank, recreational shore dives these days. For me, if the computer ever goes belly-up on a dive it will not effect me.... I'm shallow enough (usually 50 feet or less since I often dive with my kids) that air is always the limiting factor, not time, so I would not need to abort a dive as long as the analog instruments and watch continued to work....

As others have said, if I were regularly doing deep dives, or on a vacation charter, I guess I'd carry two.

Safe Diving!

I use double computers all the time, yep, right brain and left brain.

N

Well, I'm still a newbie, and I only dive with a Mares M2 computer and then a dive watch that has a bottom timer and depth gauge (accurate to 5 feet, so I don't use it)

Just my 2 euros

Back
Top Bottom