Who has the GoPro Backscatter Red Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all, we'll be listing the Oculus Red Filter for the Gopro dive housing in the next few days on ebay. It's a simple elastic strap on for a snug and vignette free fit.

456433_332761316799944_1482413719_o.jpg

I like this. It's what I was trying to do with my DIY.

Lens cover and placement:
I just put a piece of Velcro on my tray to hold the dive housing lens cover. Then put the red filter on while under water. Only issue is to find a place to store the red filter while getting in and out of the water so it doesn't get scratched up. I had a little felt zipper bag that I clipped to my tray but it was a PITA. It's now in the trash since I'm headed home.

I'll post up some vids after I go through the 2.5 hours of video I took in Bonaire!

I leave the 29th for Mexico, so I have to figure out a red filter ASAP.....hope these Oculus guys are able to come through.

Once Backscatter makes theirs I will probably go that route. Just need a filter for my July dive trip!

---------- Post added ----------

I am bummed about this news on the Oculus filter:

Oculus gear for the Gopro HERO HD
็Hi we have yet to appoint a US dealer so for the moment they will be shipped from Thailand. It takes about 2-3 weeks by registered airmail. Thanks.

I wonder if one could cut out the front of the lens cap that comes with the dive housing, cutting close to the sides of the cap but leaving just a little bit of a lip, then trim down the edges of the Oculus filter, and then glue the filter into the lens cap, creating a press-on filter.

the dive housing comes with a snap-on cover. someone just needs to make a duplicate but out of red plastic.

though the backscatter is nice due to the flip design

I wonder if one could cut out the front of the lens cap that comes with the dive housing, cutting close to the sides of the cap but leaving just a little bit of a lip, then trim down the edges of the Oculus filter, and then glue the filter into the lens cap, creating a press-on filter.
I've already thought about this and the only real problem is in the corner where the button has caused the rim of the lens cap to be cut away. The lack of a continuous rim in an area where the filter goes all the way to the corner will cause a bit of instability of the frame. On the plus side there is a sizeable optical blind spot at the top center and bottom center of the lens so if you leave those parts of the cap intact there will at least be something to glue to. Given only one cap to work with, I will probably give it a lot more thought prior to doing any cutting. I also plan to wait for the pricing on the backscatter filter to see which one is cheaper as the end result can be achieved with either.

If gopro was thinking in the right mind set they would use the same tooling for the lens cap and make filters for blue and green water use. All they would have to find out is the correct color... Which isn't hard.

Given only one cap to work with, I will probably give it a lot more thought prior to doing any cutting. I also plan to wait for the pricing on the backscatter filter to see which one is cheaper as the end result can be achieved with either.

I have emailed GoPro asking about purchasing replacement lens caps. Will re-post if I hear from them.

I saw a post some where that the BS flip filter will be $49.99

My concern with all of these various filters is I want one that will work down to about 60 feet. If the BS flip one is a Magic Filter, not sure it will do the job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom