Who Hates Their Seaskin Nova? (+ post pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you dislike about the zippers on the pockets?

I have the zippered pockets on both my Seaskin suits and I have never had a lick of trouble with the zippers. The only thing I have occasionally wished is that the pockets themselves were bigger.
Even after lubricating the zippers and adding zipper pulls, I find closing them to be one of the most obnoxious tasks potentially undertaken underwater (and that's not using dry gloves). Compared to a simple velcro pocket pull open slap, slap close, go on your way it just feels like adding difficulty to something for no gain or benefit.

You would be right... except cheesesteaks are amazing and I think that just about sums up why skinny me loses the argument every f-ing time.

Goes something like this...
Shower time - "that's it, we're going on a diet"
Lunch time the very next day - "enjoy today, we'll start that diet tomorrow!"

Or renovate the room/house and remove said mirror and viola problem solved lol!

Or renovate the room/house and room said mirror and viola problem solved lol!

Also.... let's be really honest. The diving community as a whole isn't in the best of shape. It's very easy for only moderately overweight me to compare out to the grossly over weighted smorgasbord of people we have amongst us and push that diet off just one more day because I'm not "that bad", LOL

Also.... let's be really honest. The diving community as a whole isn't in the best of shape. It's very easy for only moderately overweight me to compare out to the grossly over weighted smorgasbord of people we have amongst us and push that diet off just one more day because I'm not "that bad", LOL

You mean our meal team six divers aren't exactly their seal team six physical fitness replicas? Shocked I say, shocked!

You would be right... except cheesesteaks are amazing and I think that just about sums up why skinny me loses the argument every f-ing time.

Goes something like this...
Shower time - "that's it, we're going on a diet"
Lunch time the very next day - "enjoy today, we'll start that diet tomorrow!"
More hot water is the answer

Even after lubricating the zippers and adding zipper pulls, I find closing them to be one of the most obnoxious tasks potentially undertaken underwater (and that's not using dry gloves). Compared to a simple velcro pocket pull open slap, slap close, go on your way it just feels like adding difficulty to something for no gain or benefit.

Interesting. Both of my suits with those, the pockets zip shut (in the water or out) very easily.

What did you do for zipper pulls?

Interesting. Both of my suits with those, the pockets zip shut (in the water or out) very easily.

I got the zipper pockets, but am on the fence about them. With bigger zipper pulls then what I put on there and some more practice I'm sure it will be fine.

I got these from Amazon, but with thick gloves I really can't tell what I'm doing... I think I need a ball or something. They came in a pack of 10 so I put them on everything, drysuit bag, protective zip, all 4 zippers on the pockets. For everything but the pocket they work great, and they would be fine without heavy duty dry gloves.

(I guess we're back on topic....sigh)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    220.9 KB · Views: 45
Will throw my two cents in the ring,
Dislike the zippered pockets, wish I had of gotten the Velcro flapped pockets. Find even with pull tabs while using dry gloves they aren’t the easiest to manipulate. Quite doable, just not as easy as a flap.
Ordered mine with a centimeter or two on certain spots, plus the undergarments allowance, fits a very slight bit baggy but excellent i have full range of motion and would do it again.
Got the plastic zipper, so far it’s been excellent, I try to be very careful donning and doffing and hope it lasts a long time. Last suit was a back zip and hated not being able to do it up myself.
The ring for the neck seal, whilst doing valve drills, my neoprene seal lightly pulled out of the ring somehow and I got a bit wet inside. Did a leak chk on the suit nothing found, subsequent dive got completely soaked, grrrrr. Found neck seal out of ring, by about an inch an a half. Tucked it backed in, rung everything out and went for a dive no problems. Mental note now chk neck seal every time.
Stitching and sealing all seem excellent to me, no problems noted so far.
Pee vlv tamer seems placed a little low for me but it does its job just fine.
I worry constantly about the flimsy little witness pieces at each end of the zipper. I call them witness pieces because they seem so small and not able to stop you from over extending the ends. You would just find them broken telling you you’ve over extended the ends. So far no problems though, but very careful donning and doffing.
Broke one of the strap holders on the foot already, not the strap itself, the little rubber thing that holds it to the suit broke. No big deal.

So far so good, I think I’ve got somewhere around 50 or so dives on it in the past year an a bit.

Will throw my two cents in the ring,
Dislike the zippered pockets, wish I had of gotten the Velcro flapped pockets. Find even with pull tabs while using dry gloves they aren’t the easiest to manipulate. Quite doable, just not as easy as a flap.
Ordered mine with a centimeter or two on certain spots, plus the undergarments allowance, fits a very slight bit baggy but excellent i have full range of motion and would do it again.
Got the plastic zipper, so far it’s been excellent, I try to be very careful donning and doffing and hope it lasts a long time. Last suit was a back zip and hated not being able to do it up myself.
The ring for the neck seal, whilst doing valve drills, my neoprene seal lightly pulled out of the ring somehow and I got a bit wet inside. Did a leak chk on the suit nothing found, subsequent dive got completely soaked, grrrrr. Found neck seal out of ring, by about an inch an a half. Tucked it backed in, rung everything out and went for a dive no problems. Mental note now chk neck seal every time.
Stitching and sealing all seem excellent to me, no problems noted so far.
Pee vlv tamer seems placed a little low for me but it does its job just fine.
I worry constantly about the flimsy little witness pieces at each end of the zipper. I call them witness pieces because they seem so small and not able to stop you from over extending the ends. You would just find them broken telling you you’ve over extended the ends. So far no problems though, but very careful donning and doffing.
Broke one of the strap holders on the foot already, not the strap itself, the little rubber thing that holds it to the suit broke. No big deal.

So far so good, I think I’ve got somewhere around 50 or so dives on it in the past year an a bit.
I am at 26 dives or 25.5 hours underwater since 12/07/23 (my 1st dive). Zero complaints except for the few options that I think I would try something different, bellow pockets being one.

Also, if I had it to do over I might have gone for just a tad more room... I should have measure multiple times and gone with the largest. Someone posted about taking multiple measurements over a week and going with the largest. Awesome idea.

Those little flimsy pieces at the end of the zipper scare the crap out of me... No idea why they made them that way, but I watch them every time I put it on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom