Who logs every dive?

Do you log every dive?

• If I get wet, I log it!

Votes: 129 46.7%
  • If I was down for 10 minutes.

Votes: 96 34.8%
  • Well, if something extraordinary happened. (Found sunken treasure, shark ate buddy.)

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • What's a log book?

Votes: 29 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log adventure dives, and if something exciting happens.
I don't log training dives or dives when i am teaching.

why log dives?
If you are planning on becoming an instructor then diving logs is important.

and as you advance the type of dives you want to teach, then you will also need to show that you have experience in doing the dives as well as show competence in your ability to teach the course.

I have about 2000 dives logged into my book, this would be about half the dives I have done plus training and teaching.

the one attached would be in 1982 when we where attacked by a Tiger Shark while spear fishing

I log all of my open water dives (pool sessions, while nice for review, don't hold water, pardon the pun). This has the benefits of reviewing past locales and things done and seen. It also reminds me of how I'm improving over the months (less weight used, better SAC, etc). And for advanced courses, a WRITTEN log is a requirement.

No good reason not to keep a log, I guess!

:shout: Newbie alert! Newbie alert!

What's in a diving log? Drawings? Stats? Personal reflections on the beauty of the underwater world? :wink: What does a log generated by a diving computer look like? I've also heard that people "study" these computer-generated logs after the dive. What are they studying??

Apologies in advance for the stupid questions. :D

If I put gear on, I log it! I may not count every one but I have a record of it. I keep a seperate logbook for training dives and for DM working dives.

Some of the most educational dives recorded have been those testing out new gear, snafu'd dives and short ones with a purpose.

I dove a lot from 1973-1977, then took a 24 year Surface Interval.
I have logged all my dives since I started back.
I really wish I had a record of all those dives back when. I remember some things, but a few notes would really help jog the old brain cells back into order.

I don't log pool sessions. Everything else gets logged. I look back at my log all the time. Some dives I wish I'd put more info down, so I try to be more detailed now.

When you create your own log book you basically take out all the unneccesary crap and put in info you find relevant. for example I do all multi level profiles and my computer tracks everything for me. If I tried to use the tables it would look like I did a deco dive (try finding a 112' dive for 139 minutes on the tables.) Knowing you did not spend that full time at 112' I add another place to put average depth. I keep all the important info. site, buddy, date,temp, suface temp, temp at depth,psi in, psi out,weight used, tank size, exposure suit type, bottom time, total bottom time to date and then put a narrative of the dive.

Another good reason for you to keep a log that has been breifly mentioned already. If you plan on career advancing or taking some speacialty courses you have to prove you experience. An example might look like this: Prerequisites aow with a minimum of 100 dives, must have at least 40 in the past 6 months. without a logbook you may be ineligable to take that course or to enroll in idc.

Thanks for your response, double125's. Is this something you do on paper - or is it something you enter into an Excel spreadsheet? If the latter, I'd love to see one. Do your log entries need to be "signed off" by someone? If not, how are those dives verified further down the road if you want to acquire additional certifications??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom