Who said scuba was not competitive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised that they are not doing their kicks on their backs as it's actually faster and easier. This is a video of a 50 meter backstroke where one person went a 23.1, world record for 50m free is 20.9.

Wonder what my coach would say if I showed up with a tank and did my practice entirely underwater.

Kenderson,

The world record for women in the 50 meter finswimming is 15 seconds, by FERNÁNDEZ CASTILLO Mauricio; the men’s world record for finswimming is 13.70 seconds by KABANOV Pavel, Russia.

Underwater Hockey is ridiculously fun. Not much of a spectator sport unfortunately, since all the surface activity is just people gasping for breath, but there's no better way to feel like you're a shark in a feeding frenzy!

As the Finswimming Director for the Underwater Society of America in the 1980s, I tried to bring this competitive finswimming back into the USA. I was somewhat successful, in that we did have a few competitions, and there are still some finswimming clubs in the USA. This is an international sport, much more popular in Europe and Asia than in the USA. There are several categories, and immersion is the one with the use of hand-held scuba in front of the finswimmer. This is the most streamlined, and you can see from the times that these finswimmers are very, very fast. These competitions are also swam on the surface, using usually a front-mounted snorkel. This is also a great way to stay in condition in the off-season for those of us who don’t use the off-season to go to the tropics.

To answer FishWatcher747‘s question, I think there are CMAS (World Underwater Federation) rules requiring scuba certification, but am not sure. However, these finswimmers swim the immersion swims just under the surface, and make flip turns at the end of the pool. The 50 meter immersion swimmers are breath-hold swimmers, swimming 50 meters in an amazing time. There is no danger of embolizing while competitive finswimming with scuba, as the swimmers are only a few feet (about one meter) underwater during all of the swim.

There are actually several other CMAS (World Underwater Federation) sports: underwater hockey, and underwater orienteering are some of them. (Underwater spear fishing competitions started this too.).

Now, think about this, Ye Ting Sun was under 3 minutes for a 400 meter swim; that fast! This is one reason I’m so against things like using the frog kick for normal diving rather than reserving it for the reason it was created (cave, wreck, and areas of silt which could cause blackout underwater if stirred up). The frog kick is so inefficient compared to the dolphin kick it’s incredible that it has taken over the diving field.

SeaRat

PS, here are the CMAS (World Underwater Federation) rules for Finswimming:

The other underwater sports from CMAS:

Finswimming:

Underwater Orienteering:

Freediving (apnea):

Spearfishing:

Sport Diving:

Target Shooting:

Underwater Hockey:

Underwater Rugby:

Visual (Underwater Photography):

PS2: The photo below shows the results of the 400 meter relay, with a time of 2:38:30. Think about the speed of these swimmers. This was a surface event, and so you see the front-mount snorkels. It was won by China in the CMAS World Championships 2022. You can view it on the Finswimming USA Facebook page link above.
Did CMAS drop aquathlon (underwater grappling)? Haven`t seen much about it since the Russia and Ukraine and takeover of the Crimea. I knew folks that entered the spearfishing competition from Alaska about 20 years ago. I practiced momofin and bifin swimming for many years but could never find a meet in the US, Texas had a couple but it dropped off the radar. Underwater hockey was fun, played at college in the late 80s.

Did CMAS drop aquathlon (underwater grappling)? Haven`t seen much about it since the Russia and Ukraine and takeover of the Crimea. I knew folks that entered the spearfishing competition from Alaska about 20 years ago. I practiced momofin and bifin swimming for many years but could never find a meet in the US, Texas had a couple but it dropped off the radar. Underwater hockey was fun, played at college in the late 80s.
The answer is that I don’t know. I was not involved with Aquothlon, and it never was on my radar. :wink:

SeaRat

The answer is that I don’t know. I was not involved with Aquothlon, and it never was on my radar. :wink:

SeaRat
I watched some Aquothlon (underwater grappling). The thought that came to me was what could possibly go wrong with testosterone crazed males who hate to lose at anything performing underwater wrestling?

Okay I have never seen this before. It has never been brought up on SB as far as I know. If you needed a new way to use your Pony Bottle here it is.

It is called "underwater velocity" or "immersion finswimming" and it is one of the specialities of the finned swimming sport.
These competitions are popular here in Europe.
I was a finned swimming instructor and I made a number of courses introducing students to this and other similar types of competitions.
Of course this is not the only competitive scuba diving competition.
I did never compete in underwater velocity, but when young I was competing in underwater orienteering (usually done in lakes) and underwater technique (this typically in pools).
The latter is very nice, the athlets are required to perform a number of technical activities using different breathing systems (air tanks, hookas, CC rebreathers, etc.) and being scored by technical skills (number of objects retrieved, number of mechanical parts assembled, accuracy of hitting a target while swimming with an obscured mask, etc.).

So do the competitive immersion swimmers using a Pony need to be Scuba certified? You know they would be tempted to go deep in the diving board pool just for fun. PADI specialty?
PADI has a mermaid certification.

I'm sure some weight would be help to avoid her sawtooth looking profile.

+1
No, she just need a good finned swimming instructor. No weight is employed by competitive immersion athlets.

Underwater Hockey is ridiculously fun. Not much of a spectator sport unfortunately, since all the surface activity is just people gasping for breath, but there's not better way to feel like you're a shark in a feeding frenzy!
My younger son practiced underwater hockey for many years at very high level, taking part to a number of international competitions.
He was also member of the national Italian team.
Now he almost gave up, albeits every year he comes back here to Parma, in September, for the international tournament organised here, the Parma's Cup: https://m.facebook.com/100057214610132/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom