who uses nitrox?

Do you use nitrox?

• Not trained to use it.

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Don't see a need for the type of diving I do.

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • I use it mainly for the safety benefit.

Votes: 40 29.2%
  • I use it for the type of diving I do, ie to get a longer bottom time.

Votes: 84 61.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimLeece:
It's supposed to be better for people over 45 years old.

I'm not that old yet but I use it if I can :p. Mainly for longer bottom time as I did only basic nitrox. I did SSI and it also doesn't provide intro to tech. But my instructor is also IANTD one so during the course I had some tech (andvanced nitorx) intro.
Mania

Originally Posted by DORSETBOY: Do any of you use nitrox and why do you use it?
Both for deco and for multi- dive/day diving...
-For deco it shortens my decotime.
-For multi-dive/day I find that I´m less tired and also, even if diving fairly agressive profiles I always make sure I don´t stray to close to the limits and so it ads safety to my diving as well.

Originally Posted by DORSETBOY
does the padi nitrox level course provide a good intro into tech level diving?

I´d say no...I havent taken it personally (took an ANDI course) but I sat in on a class during a live-aboard and found the material less than impressive...also I think you´re only allowed to dive 32 or 36 which kinda sucks as far as deco with nitrox is concerned...

I use it on occasion, but not all the time. Depends on the type of diving I do (that, IMO, should've been one of the poll options). If I'm planning an aggressive dive schedule (i.e. 70-80 minute dives with a suitable profile), or multiple dives in a day, it comes in handy.

I do plan to use Nitrox exclusively during my week in Bonaire ... mainly because I'm planning to spend most of my time underwater.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DORSETBOY:
Are you refering to tech diver training? Ive done and taught the padi nitrox course but Im wondering whether that level provides an applicable intro into tech level training?
If by tech you mean a dive where there is a physical or implied ceiling then..............

Having done Padi's Nitrox course, I'd say it in NO WAY provides an intro to tech diving.

Basically you are still "no deco" diving , just with a different set of tables.

It doesn't teach anything about multiple mix planning, planning deco stops etc etc.

An intro to me would be one of the "advanced nitrox" courses which the other agencies do. At least this covers deco and planning two gas mixes etc etc.

Just my two pennies worth but I hope that helps

DORSETBOY:
does the padi nitrox level course provide a good intro into tech level diving?

i don't think so from the preview i did on padi nitrox. It teaches the basic use of breathing nitrox.

My Nitrox cert is from TDI and it is start for Tech diving as far as my understanding is concerned.

I would love to use it a lot more. I use it some for sport but can't use it at work.

Wobbles uses it almost 90+% of the time and as high as 60%.

I didn't vote because none of the lines seem to fit.

Gary D.

I only use it when it gets me more bottom time. For example, TX Flower Gardens where dive are fairly square and 70 to 100 ft. The reduction in the butt whoopin is a real nice side effect.

Generally, I would use Nitrox for every dive I made, simply because of the extended no deco time, apart from the costs involved.

That said, In the Netherlands, they are now introducing the Nitrox for free program, which simply put means that Nitrox costs the same to fill as air. Obviously for the diving shops there is an increase in initial expenditure, but PADI are trying to encourage the shops to swallow these costs and try to get more people diving on nitrox!

Further to that, if I am making multiple dives per day, I feel less tired if I dive on Nitrox.

Then of course in my stages, Nitrox is used for degassing!

Hope this helps

Paul

I use it when I am going to be doing a lot of dives over a weekend. My reason isn't on the list though. I use it because I feel less tired at the end of the day compaired to straight air.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom