Who was the Divemaster's or Instructor's buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
This never occurred to me until this morning. ....And divemasters working in resorts routinely take down 4 or 6 or 8 divers paired up in buddy teams but the DM is basically solo.
I'm surprised it took you so long to think about this! :wink:

Your buddy is the same as for those groups of 4-8 divers using the "loose buddy" system: your buddy is the nearest octopus that doesn't have 8 legs.

In a more serious vein, it's unlikely that you will be able to wander off with nobody noticing your absence, so "buddy" separation is unlikely, even though you don't have an explicit buddy.

Charlie

Charlie99:
I'm surprised it took you so long to think about this! :wink:

Your buddy is the same as for those groups of 4-8 divers using the "loose buddy" system: your buddy is the nearest octopus that doesn't have 8 legs.

In a more serious vein, it's unlikely that you will be able to wander off with nobody noticing your absence, so "buddy" separation is unlikely, even though you don't have an explicit buddy.

Charlie

Hey, I never said I was a fast thinker. :bonk: It just hit me that after preaching "buddy, buddy, buddy", that to the average recently graduated OW student, it must appear that it doesn't apply to DMs or instructors. They're (we're) above the law in regards to that one.

I did think of this during my OW and mentioned it to my Instructor. He explained that he and his DMs are indeed expected to be totally self sufficient in the training arena, but that if he ever swam up to a student without a reg in his mouth, that student better pass him one in a hurry if he wanted to certify.

The one training phase he did complain about was doing Controlled Emergency Ascents (omg, i forget Padi's name for those, but then I'm not much of a diver) with each and every student. :11: Even from 20 feet, a dozen rapid ascents can take a toll on a fellow.

Hank, get a Pony bottle. :sly: Average the cost out over enough dives to get it down to $1 a dive.

When I teach (which I'm not doing right now) every one has a buddy including me. Sometimes it's an assistant and sometimes it's a student. It depends on the class. At least one of the dives (sometimes two) students will plan and conduct the dive in teams with my buddy and I just following. We don't do a thing unless there's a safety concern and if there is it means the class isn't over yet. Usually the last dive of the class and sometimes the first dive I take students out one team at a time...team being either 2 or 3 divers.

In the UK, the situation is simple - an Instructor cannot be on their own with a student if undertaking a commercial operation (eg a course for which the instructor receives any kind of payment, or through a dive centre).

You are required to have a 3-man team minimum under the Health and Safety Executive diving regulations: Instructor, Safety Diver and surface cover.

Dom

good question,

buddy system really means never dive alone. DM's place a group being led in pairs for several reasons. one is so you watch each other and the DM doesnt have to keep a constant eye on you. the DM can instead help the more challenged divers and lead the tour.
a group of 8 - 10 is the DM's buddy
i would hope they would help me if needed.

This is all so interesting! Being a newly certified diver, I can just say,"My instructor never dove in our class without a buddy." While our class had 6 students, he buddied with a DM. When our class dropped too 5, he buddied with a student. Any one here like hypocrites? That would be like telling your kids not to smoke as your having a butt!
Like telling them that you could die if you drink and drive, then you come all wasted, driving in the car. Like a sports pro saying "just say no to drugs" then going to jail for smoking pot in a pop can with under age girls! Kinda seems a little silly don't you think?
I would think that as being our superiors, instructors should practice what they preach. At least while teaching a class. Even though you are set up to be totally self sufficient, some new divers could be influenced by the fact that you did not have a buddy while teaching the class, and that maybe it may not be all that important. I plan on getting search and rescue certified and getting my instructor qualifications. At that time I will be self supportive. But will NEVER teach a class without a buddy.
That's just MY opinion.

On all of my courses, the instructor made the students do a buddy check with him, reinforced the learning

Your right, instructors and DM often don't have a dedicated buddy. When I train new DMs one thing I emphasize is that while there will be other divers in the water with them, they should be self sufficient. I personally feel this is important for all divers because no matter how well someone is trained, you never know how they will react in an emergency.

That being said, there are ways to make it look like you have a buddy. Ask a student or diver in your group to check your gear as part of the buddy system and to help you with it. If I tell my students not to put on their gear by themself, then I am not goint to put it on by myself when I'm in front of them. If you are doing the same things you expect them to do, it sets a good example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom