Who's dove Halibut point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try this. Don't know if worth effort of carrying gear all way in. I've heard of others putting gear on at closest point can park to entry point, and walking to entry point fully geared, wetsuit and all. With warm weather we've been having lately, I'm worried of getting heat stroke, let alone the walk on way back w/ gear on.. (old and lazy..) I think a cart will make the haul less painless but I don't think it will work as terrain is rocky so you can only go so far w/ a cart.

Is it worth carrying gear for two tank dive? Long hike = less divers or having to yourself! Supposedly, good vis due to granite shoreline. Would like to see giant sloping granite slabs decending downwards. And are there really Halibut??

Would like to know anyone that has done it or would be interested in giving it a go.

If only some young enterprising youth would be there to be dive sherpas! Definately, a reason to have a boat!

I dove it once from shore a few years ago. That was enough. It's about a quarter mile jaunt in, about twice that on the way back. :) Especially on a hot day after two dives. The path is a little rocky, but not too bad. It's fairly level. You might be able to do it with a cart. I ended up doing two runs each way for a 2tank dive back then.

All that said, it was a very pretty dive. The rocky ledges make it very interesting, and help out with the vis. In my opinion, unless you got a boat or have a glutton for punishment, do this dive from a boat. Diving is supposed to be relaxing, huffing and puffing for a quarter mile before and after, just don't seem worth it, IMHO. You can get a somewhat similar terrain at Cathedral, and the hike is much shorter :)

-Roman.

P.S. And no, didn't see any halibut there... :)

Did this site a couple weeks ago. Amazing vis, lots of life and a few big lobsters that we couldn't "rescue." However, I did it as a boat dive with Cape Ann Divers. I don't think I'd want to carry two 50 lb steel tanks that far when Cathedral is right there.

I did this once after we spent the morning at Folly cove with a class. With wetsuits already wet, it was bearable to walk down the path in full gear. One problem with trying to use a cart is there are some log-made steps that can make it hard (I heard rumors of one of my instructors trying a wheelbarrow, and meeting some disasterous results... he wasn't around to defend himself at the time though).

All in all, it was worth the walk. Solid rock slab, no sand or small rock. Different enough from Cat rocks to make it worth it.

And a boat dive would definately make it easier.

(Hmm. Same instructor has a nice inflatable with a 20hp outboard I might be able to borrow... maybe I will go dive it.)

How are the boat launches in that area? Any recommendations to good spots to launch? I'd like to venture to Cape Ann sometime soon and bring our Zodiac 16' with 40 HP.

There is always the Gloucester ramp behind the high school. If southerly winds drive you back, go up the Annisquam which is a nice ride but lengthy since you can't go over 5mph the entire river. From there you can head over to either Folley point, Halibut, or out around Lanes cove.

Launching in Gloucester is the best around and not a bad deal $5 for a small boat like yours or get a season pass for $35. The ramp is brand new and big.

I know of one.. Lanes Cove.. (Andrews Street off of 127) It's on NW side of Rockport. To right is Folly, then Halibut point. Not sure if for local residents though. There really isn't much parking for car and trailer.

Reefseal, If you're willing the give halibut a try, I'd be willing to give it a go as well. Among other dates, I know for certrain I'll be up there all day and night Friday the 25th, and Saturday the 26th while the wifes away:mean:. I'll be needing Buddies and dive sites to explore. That goes for anyone else as well...........Al

Back
Top Bottom