Who's Going to the Cozumel Invasion ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Merfs will be there! Jen and Ken Murphy are the names by which we're known with the gubbmint but we're Merf and Jen to everyone else! Looking forward to meeting many new friends on this trip!

:crying: I wish more than anything that I could go!!!!

I am planning on doing my AOW this May, but it would be really cool to get it with NetDoc. :sadangel:

I have my "deep" dive and my "night" dive toward my AOW. I am scheduled to do my "navigator", "peak performance buoyancy" and my "wreck" dive in the spring. (My local quarry is just toooo cold, although my instructor is willing to do them anytime.....LOL, he wears a dry suit).

Soccerjenni, Anytime you can getaway to FL or join any SB event, I'm sure Netdoc will be happy to help complete your AOW Training..just send him a PM.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Would this be a good trip for youger kids as well? I have 2 sons ages who will be 13 and 8 by the time this trip would go off. the 13yr old is certifed and the 8 yr old LOVES to snorkel.

Wonder if a group would like to see about flying into Cancun and doing the bus/ferry thing as it appears there are better flight options for that route vs. Cozmel direct.

Last edited:
MC:
Would this be a good trip for youger kids as well? I have 2 sons ages who will be 13 and 8 by the time this trip would go off. the 13yr old is certifed and the 8 yr old LOVES to snorkel.

Wonder if a group would like to see about flying into Cancun and doing the bus/ferry thing as it appears there are better flight options for that route vs. Cozmel direct.
Sounds like it's family oriented, as they did select dates that most of the country is out of school. Amazingly one friend in GA says they will still be in that week?

Have you flown to Cancun before? It's an option, but one I avoid if I can fly into Coz for $100-200 more. Immigration can get overwhelmed at times, then waiting for the next hourly bus that takes over an hour to PDC, then waiting for the next ferry, moving bags at each step along the way, having to claim them again in Coz, then the cab ride. There are tricycle porters who usually meet the bus in PDC and ferry in Coz - carry tip money plus Mexican coins for the pay toilet in the bus station. Repeat to return and arrive 2 hours before flight time, altho you might arrange to fly into CUN and out of CZM.

The bus is comfortable enough. There are collective vans or you can reserve a private one for more. Getting a group to converge in Cancun for a group one might be a bit much with flight arrivals, delays, etc. Have fun tho! :pilot:

MC:

I would agree with Don about flying into Cancun. It's an option but its a bit of work with bus and ferry rides. Did you check staying and extra day ? The extra day rate in the invasion package may offset airfare and get you another day of vacation. I know a couple other folks so far have used that option.:D

As for kids they will have a blast, the hotel has a entertainment staff with things going on all day. There is also a kids club along with many other activities. Oh and they do have the largest pool on the island :wink:
Also there is snorkeling at the hotel beach and Chankanaab Park has some of the best snorkeling you will find anywhere in the Caribbean.

Check oout the hotels website for the details

Additional Services

Now, traveling with a family of 3 or 4, including two kiddos, possible economies of nearby airports can be magnified by the number of tickets one much buy, and reserving a private van that goes when you want to go and delivers you to the ferry dock can become more appealing. Just keeping my grandkids in order on a state park hike can be challenge enough; keeping them from wandering off while waiting for mass transit in a foreign country - wow! Still, depending on planes...??

Looking at the airports closest to pompano beach, fl and both destination airports, I think we can ignore the overnight flight savings - forget chasing kids around DFW until the morning plane. :eek:

Keeping in mind of a time zone change on all of these, Spirit has nice, non-stop flight times for Cancun @ $392 each with plenty of time for ground transfers each way...
FLL 10:30a CUN 11:13a 1h 43m
CUN 4:03p FLL 6:49p 1h 46m

Everything else seems to involve connecting flights anyway, start with Delta for Cozumel @ $468 each...
PBI 8:00a CZM 12:47p 5h 47m (1)
DL CZM 1:37p PBI 8:58p 6h 21m (1)

So on one hand, saving $76 each going thru CUN is not very impressive, but flying non-stop to Cancun then spending the savings on van & ferry might be? Oh, I can see the possible appeal, but I think I'd still rather fly in & out of CZM. Plus Delta allows one roll-on & one checked bag free each, so by the time you figure $20 RT for bus, $24 RT for ferry, and $58 for Spirit's luggage fees, it's $26 cheaper each to take Delta in & out of CZM, not counting tricycle porters at ferry docks. Private van costs would be higher no matter how you did it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom