Who's the Oldest Diver on the Board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Uncle Pug is the oldest..I know it's not me.
:wink:

I know of at least one person on the board who is older than I. Can you believe I FORGOT who he is!!

Be 65 in January.... Work out, swim laps stay in shape. Been scuba diving since 1955. Wife, son, daughter, son-in-law and brother are all divers. Have three of five grandchildren that are super snorklers. One will probably get certified this year. Did commercial diving in the 60's (hardhat & shallow water gear) (Did search and rescue diving in same time period)

Grew up in Venezuela. Lived in the ocean.

Wife and I now dive locally and make 3-4 trips a year to the carribean.

So far this year I've managed to do 81 dives. Have done a big bunch more.

Happy holidays, all!!

Cudabait:
I know of at least one person on the board who is older than I. Can you believe I FORGOT who he is!!

Be 65 in January.... Work out, swim laps stay in shape. Been scuba diving since 1955. Wife, son, daughter, son-in-law and brother are all divers. Have three of five grandchildren that are super snorklers. One will probably get certified this year. Did commercial diving in the 60's (hardhat & shallow water gear) (Did search and rescue diving in same time period)

Grew up in Venezuela. Lived in the ocean.

Wife and I now dive locally and make 3-4 trips a year to the carribean.

So far this year I've managed to do 81 dives. Have done a big bunch more.

Happy holidays, all!!

Great Post CudaBait! It sounds like you have had a great dive experiance.

As I said in another area (post) I started diving in 1956. I was the first full time Deputy Sheriff to become a SCUBA diver on the King County Sheriff's Department. (Prior to me they had a hard hat diver.) King County, Washington, includes all the unincorperated areas surrounding Seattle. I joined a team of some of the best divers in the PNW, at that time. These divers were given a Reserve Deputy Sheriffs Commission as divers. (No pay.)

I had to take all the "tests" that these divers had drawn up for new team divers to take. Some of these "tests," would give a currant instructor fits. I will not go into all of them, however; we had to make an open water free asscent from 75 + feet, a dive over 150 ft. Of course we had no computers (Navy tables,) no BC's, two hose regulator, Duck Fins (UDT) tank w/harness and a dry suit with no valves, etc. (BellAqua)

I dove with this team from '56 to '73 or so. We covered the Gold Cup and Seafair Races (Unlimited Hydro-Planes) inconjuction with the USCG. I usually rode in the USCG Helo and jumped in full SCUBA gear from it when accidents happened on the course, to help injured drivers in to the basket, so the USCG could hoist them up to the helo and to medical help.

We were also involved in recovering bodies and evidence from the many lakes and Puget Sound in King County, as well as many other nearby Counties in the State. (Not many jurisdictions had dive teams in those days.) I had 200 or so body recovery dives along with other members of the team. In fact, I got tired of body recovery. (To many little kids!) Also my job on the department because of promotions and assignments, etc. made it harder for me to continue with the team.

As a member of a US Army Reserve's Special Forces, unit I was afforded a chance in '62 to attend the US Navy's SCUBA school at Key West, FL. They call this course, Combat Diver now and have a qualificatin badge. I didn't get to do much diving as a military diver, to busy learning other skills, etc.

In the year 2000 I got the urge to dive again! I signed up with a LDS and took the OW course. Of course, I had never used BCs, computers, and all the other new stuff. So, I thought it would be prudent to do so. I have taken other courses to get my PADI Master SCUBA Diver card over the past couple of years.

I have taken some great warm water trips to Florida, Cozumel, MX., Roatan and the Maya Ha Resort, MX. I usually take at least one warm water dive trip a year. We also take a trip to Panama City Beach, FL every year and stay in a Condo at the beach. (I took some of my speciality courses there at Diver's Den.)

I hate to admit it, but I haven't been doing any local cold water diving lately. I do have a dry suit, but the older I get, the harder it is to get into all that stuff one needs to dive locally. I especially dislike shore dives wear long walks w/gear is needed :(

I will be 73 years old on 6 January! (01/06/1931) I will keep diving as long as I am able to! :)

SterlingDiver:
*Who is the oldest diver on the board?

*Are you still actively diving?

*How many years experiance do you have?

*Have you been able to share this wonderful gift with your family?

It would be interesting to know if there is any family besides the Cousteu's who have three or more generations diving.

SterlingDiver

I'm 57 and started diving a year ago. So far I've logged 47 dives. I'm still a baby when it comes to experience.

6Gill:
That is a great life story!
In my book you get the prize!
Keep healthy and keep diving.

6Gill:
As I said in another area (post) I started diving in 1956. I was the first full time Deputy Sheriff to become a SCUBA diver on the King County Sheriff's Department. (Prior to me they had a hard hat diver.) King County, Washington, includes all the unincorperated areas surrounding Seattle. I joined a team of some of the best divers in the PNW, at that time. These divers were given a Reserve Deputy Sheriffs Commission as divers. (No pay.)

I had to take all the "tests" that these divers had drawn up for new team divers to take. Some of these "tests," would give a currant instructor fits. I will not go into all of them, however; we had to make an open water free asscent from 75 + feet, a dive over 150 ft. Of course we had no computers (Navy tables,) no BC's, two hose regulator, Duck Fins (UDT) tank w/harness and a dry suit with no valves, etc. (BellAqua)

I dove with this team from '56 to '73 or so. We covered the Gold Cup and Seafair Races (Unlimited Hydro-Planes) inconjuction with the USCG. I usually rode in the USCG Helo and jumped in full SCUBA gear from it when accidents happened on the course, to help injured drivers in to the basket, so the USCG could hoist them up to the helo and to medical help.

We were also involved in recovering bodies and evidence from the many lakes and Puget Sound in King County, as well as many other nearby Counties in the State. (Not many jurisdictions had dive teams in those days.) I had 200 or so body recovery dives along with other members of the team. In fact, I got tired of body recovery. (To many little kids!) Also my job on the department because of promotions and assignments, etc. made it harder for me to continue with the team.

As a member of a US Army Reserve's Special Forces, unit I was afforded a chance in '62 to attend the US Navy's SCUBA school at Key West, FL. They call this course, Combat Diver now and have a qualificatin badge. I didn't get to do much diving as a military diver, to busy learning other skills, etc.

In the year 2000 I got the urge to dive again! I signed up with a LDS and took the OW course. Of course, I had never used BCs, computers, and all the other new stuff. So, I thought it would be prudent to do so. I have taken other courses to get my PADI Master SCUBA Diver card over the past couple of years.

I have taken some great warm water trips to Florida, Cozumel, MX., Roatan and the Maya Ha Resort, MX. I usually take at least one warm water dive trip a year. We also take a trip to Panama City Beach, FL every year and stay in a Condo at the beach. (I took some of my speciality courses there at Diver's Den.)

I hate to admit it, but I haven't been doing any local cold water diving lately. I do have a dry suit, but the older I get, the harder it is to get into all that stuff one needs to dive locally. I especially dislike shore dives wear long walks w/gear is needed :(

I will be 73 years old on 6 January! (01/06/1931) I will keep diving as long as I am able to! :)

I hope and prary that I will be able to dive at 73! You are an inspiration. I work with Joe Liburdi, who had a couple of shops in the Seattle area, and he still dives at 73. Way cool.

6Gill,

Great post!! Congratulations on your most interesting diving history. You are an excellent example of what "older" active persons are able to accomplish. Happy holidays!!

Back
Top Bottom