Why a GoPro may not be right for you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll help take this most serious of posts, to a fun light-hearted level.

Video or photo skills by yourself is one thing hard enough, but add a wife/girfriend/dive-buddy that you're trying to pose during the shoot or get framed/composed in that shot, well that's a whole new level of task loading.

Yeah, I may get distracted a bit if Alana was my dive buddy..........oh the horrors of having to share air with her, I'd have to pratice CPR at least a couple times a week to keep my skills fresh........all in the name of safety, right?

Alana Blanchard images - Google Search

That's very true and those are the sort of situations where you can completely lose focus and concentration and become a hazard to yourself and dive buddies. For example when diving with something very distractive such as me with sharks or other cool creatures, can't speak personally of diving with Alana or very similar in a bikini. Though I think I need to test myself more in those situations too :wink: those are the times I much easier get lost in the moment and can easily forget everything else, I need to actually tell myself to keep focus and not let the camera be the only thing I am concentrating on.

If you throw in someone inexperienced in the water to the mix with easy distractions all around them plus a camera setup, its a recipe for disaster so always be safe and honest with your own abilities before taking the next step into underwater cameras.

Your point is well taken. Safety first ... always.

However, I know two divers who dive better with a camera in their hand than they did without it. One slowed way down, looking for photo ops/critters, causing her to improve SAC and buoyancy. The other, using an Intova Sport Pro, stopped being self conscious and over-thinking everything scuba. Buoyancy, trim and SAC improved.

My advice to the photographer/videographer, be sure you have a spotter with you. Your spotter can help find critters, supervise your diving, and by way of teaming, will be close enough for either of you to assist the other should there be a problem.

Agree completely Rocky. It was a tough decision to decide on doing UW video. It's like talking on a cell phone while driving. If you aren't willing to completely ignore someone talking to you or stop talking yourself you probably shouldn't have that phone to your ear while driving. Even hands-free doesn't guarantee distraction. I was fairly proud of how I handled myself the 1 week I was able to dive and video a couple of years ago. But I also made sure to concentrate on diving first, video second. I wouldn't recommend a camera to anyone until they're at least comfortable with the basics and can avoid running into things, dragging things, or generally making a nuisance of themselves.

Truthfully I think most good divers can handle the extra responsibility of a camera as long as they remember to dive first. Reminds of a dive in Jamaica where the resort dive master led us through some arches. No kidding, 4-5 of the 6-7 people in front of me hammered the arch with their regulator/tank. I couldn't believe it and can't believe they were all as new to diving as I was. Just one right after another. I would have laughed if not for the seriousness of the situation. I'll give my wife credit for not taking the chance and just going over. Some people have no awareness of their surroundings.

Ok, rambling now. In any case, good post and I hope it at least gets more people to think about their behavior.

I think if people is going to do video or photo, they should know how to identify a good opportunity to get a good shot. Chapter 5 "the mindset of the successful underwater photographer" by Martin Edge, review in detail when to identify this moments, sometimes I see divers taking pictures of everything.

There is nothing wrong on getting the camera early, you just need to know how to use it and read a lot about how to do it, there is a lot of information but sometimes people are not as passionate about diving as people on this forum they are just vacation al divers that doesn't even know scubaboard

don't lay on the reef bump.......

Of course much of this holds true with ay underwater imaging device. One of the reasons I greatly prefer diving solo when filming is that a buddy is one less thing I have to pay attention to. It is also one reason I won't dive with a rebreather since my focus is on my imaging and I only occasionally check my gauges on open circuit as I generally know my profiles.

If I mount it to my DPV instead of holding it in my hand, does that make the OP feel better about the reef?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom