DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This ^ is why people dont want to engage. If you represent GUE your a terrible ambassador
I do not represent GUE.
For you it is okay to go to a BMW car dealer and tell customers, who are asking questions to their BMW, how VW is doing it?

I do not represent GUE.
For you it is okay to go to a BMW car dealer and tell customers, who are asking questions to their BMW, how VW is doing it?
Does a BMW / VW have some special speedometer which you have to average your distance over time?

Ratio deco basically gives the same results as Bhulman in the tec1 range.

I am not tec2, so I can't speak for sure, but I think ratio deco isn't used for long or deep dives because it starts giving weird results. People with more experience than me could confirm

@PfcAJ ?

EDIT: by the way, ratio deco isn't anymore the primary way of calculating deco. As @Germie stated, nowadays it is the deco planner.
RD is okay for t2 stuff. Not as great IMO as t1 range but it’s pretty close.

RD is a simple way to approximate whatever deco algorithm you’re using. It’s just about identifying trends. For instance using bulhmann, 150’ for 20mins gives you about 20mins of deco time on 50%. It also gives you about 25mins on 50% for a 25min BT. 1:1

210ish is 2:1 with 50% and oxygen.

People love to get all bent out of shape about it for some reason. It’s just a tool to approximate whatever deco algorithm you choose. It has limits (doesn’t everything?) and you need to understand those limits if you’re going to use the tool.

The thing I use RD for is a quick estimate of how long the runtime will be for a given profile to determine if that fits within the parameters of what we are willing to do. I can use RD to quickly see that a 20 minute BT at 170' will give me a roughly 50 minute RT, if that's something we want to do then I can cut a set of backup tables using more formal methods.

Computers are fine, but you still need a backup. No one should ever splash without knowing what their dive plan is.

RD is okay for t2 stuff. Not as great IMO as t1 range but it’s pretty close.

RD is a simple way to approximate whatever deco algorithm you’re using. It’s just about identifying trends. For instance using bulhmann, 150’ for 20mins gives you about 20mins of deco time on 50%. It also gives you about 25mins on 50% for a 25min BT. 1:1

210ish is 2:1 with 50% and oxygen.

People love to get all bent out of shape about it for some reason. It’s just a tool to approximate whatever deco algorithm you choose. It has limits (doesn’t everything?) and you need to understand those limits if you’re going to use the tool.
Just to clarify what "Ratio deco" means.

Is it a rough planner, i.e. 45m/150ft for 60 mins ~= 60 mins deco
or
Is it a non-computer deco algorithm to use with a depth gauge and timer?

The former -- planner -- all fine and dandy, but refer to something with a lot more accuracy such as MultiDeco.

The latter -- running deco -- seems archaic when you have good and reliable computers to calculate your deco profile (and a whole lot more). Does ratio deco work for other gradient factors, different setpoints, get the hell out of dodge, etc.?

Just to clarify what "Ratio deco" means.

Is it a rough planner, i.e. 45m/150ft for 60 mins ~= 60 mins deco
or
Is it a non-computer deco algorithm to use with a depth gauge and timer?

The former -- planner -- all fine and dandy, but refer to something with a lot more accuracy such as MultiDeco.

The latter -- running deco -- seems archaic when you have good and reliable computers to calculate your deco profile (and a whole lot more). Does ratio deco work for other gradient factors, different setpoints, get the hell out of dodge, etc.?
Rough planner. Quick sanity check. Not definitive.

Rough planner. Quick sanity check. Not definitive.
How do you do your in-water deco calculations? Am genuinely interested in differences between GUE/DIR and "other" agencies.

I use ratio deco nowadays, but how?
It is an easy way to know what the total divetime or the decotime will be. Nothing more. And then I check it with a planner, and dive the computer.
Or I don't need to check it anymore and just dive because I have done such dives a lot and just know the plan people want to dive is not stupid.

ISE also have U tube videos of their version if you google it and UTD have relatively recently had a podcast on their version which is in it's 3rd gen now to incorporate the move away from deep stops (no 37) latest one might be of interest too Wibs.....

How do you do your in-water deco calculations? Am genuinely interested in differences between GUE/DIR and "other" agencies.
I have tables in my wet notes.

The tables, RD, and my computer all align within a few mins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom