DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hang means "floating for deco", ex. "I drifted 5 miles during that 30 minute hang in the Gulf Stream current last summer."

In a multi-level current, if you let an SMB just "bounce up and down in front of you" you will never see it again. We've got places here where you can have a 2-4kt current at one stop depth and nada at a deeper one. Heck, it's really exciting when surface currents are going one direction and bottom currents are going the other.
Wow! That must be "fun".

You don't need a depth gauge to know where you're doing deco in a cave. Timing device? Hells ya, but depth gauge, no. For cave diving I bring a watch and a single computer, look at the time before I descend, it's that easy peasy. If you're losing both timing devices then I'd say that's a surface problem.

Yeah in a cave it is trivial problem, I know where to use my oxygen and I know what amount of pressure will clear up any deco and give me a safety stop too. But I was speaking more in general, as despite the fact that you rarely get me in salt water I did my deco training there.

I remember asking how far down the failure rabbit hole to plan for as in general we can only plan for so many failures and remain reasonable. And I've always been under the impression that we plan for a single failure of each type (except lights), so if I back up a computer with another computer, the pre-printed dive plans are there more for a sanity check against the high unlikely scenario that a computer fails while still being on, and TBH two computers failing that way at the same time is unlikely.

In a multi-level current, if you let an SMB just "bounce up and down in front of you" you will never see it again. We've got places here where you can have a 2-4kt current at one stop depth and nada at a deeper one. Heck, it's really exciting when surface currents are going one direction and bottom currents are going the other.

Yeah that is always fun, you watch the SMB go up and up, and suddenly sideways as you watch the spool pay out wondering if 150ft is enough for launching it at 70ft.

I drifted 5 miles during that 30 minute hang in the Gulf Stream current last summer."

I’ve spent a lot of time on the ocean and around it, and I’m going to have to call shenanigans on a 10mph drift.

Yeah that is always fun, you watch the SMB go up and up, and suddenly sideways as you watch the spool pay out wondering if 150ft is enough for launching it at 70ft.

Exactly. When you see the line start bending to a 45° angle it's time to get ready for a wild ride.

I’ve spent a lot of time on the ocean and around it, and I’m going to have to call shenanigans on a 10mph drift.

I wish I were making this up. My exhaust bubbles got sucked from the deck down into the holds of the wreck we were on - the only other time I've seen bubbles sink was in a pint of guinness.

so I will sign off by agreeing that the lowliest rec pass GUE Fundamentals student is far superior to the finest of technical divers trained by other organizations.
I wrote this a while ago in full and obvious sarcasm. I am just writing to report that on a thread on FaceBook, roughly this same thing was said by a GUE diver in something closer to earnestness.

In a comment to a post someone made attacking PADI, the GUE diver said that the lowliest rec diver to pass GUE Fundamentals was a superior diver to any instructor PADI had ever produced.

This would, of course, raise an interesting question for a PADI instructor like Jarrod Jablonski, founder and owner of GUE. What is he to think of the PADI instructors he employs teaching PADI technical diving classes at his Extreme Exposure store in Florida? Are the new Fundamentals graduates really superior to the technical instructors he employs? I wonder, too, about my friend, a PADI instructor who also teaches GUE Fundamentals. Does he ever hesitate to pass a Fundamentals student, knowing that if he does, that diver will automatically be superior to him in skills?

Of course, that is absurd, but, as I said, the person who wrote it was semi-serious. Perhaps that is at least in part an answer to the question of this thread. Maybe people want to know what leads people to litter social media with such comments.

I wrote this a while ago in full and obvious sarcasm. I am just writing to report that on a thread on FaceBook, roughly this same thing was said by a GUE diver in something closer to earnestness.

In a comment to a post someone made attacking PADI, the GUE diver said that the lowliest rec diver to pass GUE Fundamentals was a superior diver to any instructor PADI had ever produced.

This would, of course, raise an interesting question for a PADI instructor like Jarrod Jablonski, founder and owner of GUE. What is he to think of the PADI instructors he employs teaching PADI technical diving classes at his Extreme Exposure store in Florida? Are the new Fundamentals graduates really superior to the technical instructors he employs? I wonder, too, about my friend, a PADI instructor who also teaches GUE Fundamentals. Does he ever hesitate to pass a Fundamentals student, knowing that if he does, that diver will automatically be superior to him in skills?

Of course, that is absurd, but, as I said, the person who wrote it was semi-serious. Perhaps that is at least in part an answer to the question of this thread. Maybe people want to know what leads people to litter social media with such comments.

Come on man, in any community, there will be those who are misguided. Who among us hasn't looked back and thought, wow, how stupid some of the things I used to say?

I mean, just scubaboard itself. I can look back at my own post history. Man, I said some moronic things. I am sure if I look back a few years from now (or even a few days from now), I will say the same thing about my posts from the past week.

Ofc it's ridiculous, and extremely toxic for no reason.

Saying that, it's sad that, indeed, many PADI instructors lack skills that could be gained in less than 4 dives in GUE-F. Many very skillful tech instructors and from GUE teach with PADI to feed their families, but I would say that they don't fall on the typical category of the "PADI Instructor" that started with PADI and just met the minimum threshold to obtain and maintain their license.

I don't want to hit on PADI, obviously PADI and GUE have a different purpose and mentality, both providing valuable service towards the diving community. But indeed I would expect from diving professionals to work towards becoming better and getting solid skills, and the majority of scuba instructors with PADI (to be honest all that I have met during my short experience as a diver), seem to lack the motivation or means for some reason. Anyway.

Come on man, in any community, there will be those who are misguided. Who among us hasn't looked back and thought, wow, how stupid some of the things I used to say?

I've said it before, the stupidest people are the ones that have just gotten their toes wet.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom