Why are so many Insts not signing up students on Free DAN insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just would like to see Insts do the very little bit of work to get these students covered for free before they take them into the ocean.
It's hard to see a good reason not to.

Our shop signed students up for many years, but the DAN handout was not very clear about what was covered and what was not. This led to confusion, so we stopped being the go-between for DAN. Now we continue to strongly recommend DAN, but I just point students to the self-sign-up on DAN’s website.

DAN is My Buddy : Enroll Today

At least it is pretty clear there about what is covered:
It provides you with up to $20,000 recompression treatment insurance during "entry-level" student training.

Once you've registered, your coverage will continue for six months or until you complete the last dive required for certification, whichever occurs first.

DandyDon:
why are the Inst not signing up students on the free student plan?

Why do you assume they aren't?

Side comment, not reflecting on DAN ot instructors in particular, but life in general.

Scuba divers, as a class, include a disproportionatly large number of iconoclasts, it's a sport that attracts folks not prone to group-think.

While DAN is a worthwhile organization (yes, I'm a member) with worthwhile programs including insurance for dive accidents, individual instructors may have what they feel are valid reasons for not signing up their students, beyond the laziness or ignorance that the tone of OP inplies.

Not signing folks up for a FREE offer doesn't automatically mean you're somehow shortchanging them.

Again, I'm not referring to the DAN offer in particular, but commenting that we should respect individual decisions, and that nobody needs to justify theirs to anyone.

DandyDon:
Some are, some are not, as reported here on SB from students.

Where are those reports? I haven't seen them and even if I had, they are meaningless. As a student, you won't necessarily know if you've been signed up for DAN's student insurance. You fill out nothing, the instructor fills out a form on his students and sends it in.

Huh, I assumed all instructors did sign their students up for DAN....mine did. I guess I don't read the accidents/incidents forum much. But my instructor signed us all up for the OW class and said to us right from the start, "As soon as you're certified, you NEED to continue your DAN insurance. It's not expensive and has great coverage....it's really a no-brainer." So we did, and after reading more about it and understanding the coverage, I'm really glad we did, but also hope we never have to use it.

Side comment, not reflecting on DAN ot instructors in particular, but life in general.

Scuba divers, as a class, include a disproportionatly large number of iconoclasts, it's a sport that attracts folks not prone to group-think.

While DAN is a worthwhile organization (yes, I'm a member) with worthwhile programs including insurance for dive accidents, individual instructors may have what they feel are valid reasons for not signing up their students, beyond the laziness or ignorance that the tone of OP inplies.

Not signing folks up for a FREE offer doesn't automatically mean you're somehow shortchanging them.

Again, I'm not referring to the DAN offer in particular, but commenting that we should respect individual decisions, and that nobody needs to justify theirs to anyone.
It's not shortchanging I had in mind, but not enrolling them with the free coverage.
Where are those reports? I haven't seen them and even if I had, they are meaningless. As a student, you won't necessarily know if you've been signed up for DAN's student insurance. You fill out nothing, the instructor fills out a form on his students and sends it in.
So the student wouldn't know if the Inst enrolled him, huh?

An instructor can not enroll a student in DAN student insurance. The student has to enroll themselves by filling out the form and signing the statement. I dont always remember to inform my students of the DAN insurance. Regardless, THEY are responsible for medical treatment, not ME. Most likely they already have coverage through their primary insurer. So, the answer is that Im lazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom