Why are so many Insts not signing up students on Free DAN insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not shortchanging I had in mind, but not enrolling them with the free coverage.

Don, I think you missed my point.

Your original and subsequent posts imply that you feel this is an offer too good to refuse and you can't fathom why an instructor wouldn't sign up a student for FREE DAN insurance. At a certain level, neither can I, but it isn't my business anyway.

My point is that instructors may have valid (to them) reasons and that whatever their reasons, instructors don't need to justify their decisions to us or anybody else. Anyone can pass up any FREE offer at any time for any reason or for no reason.

Perhaps those instructors that don't use the program feel there is a limited amount of time to fill out the required liablility releases, rental forms, and other frst day prep, to add another optional element.

That being said I have incorporated DAN student membership in my classes ever since I found out about it.

Wouldnt this play into the good vs the bad? I remember getting certified, and when we filled out all of our liability forms, the shop had us fill out the DAN form, and they took care of it.

The insurance only lasted till our last check out dive though.

But isnt it lazyness?

Perhaps those instructors that don't use the program feel there is a limited amount of time to fill out the required liablility releases, rental forms, and other frst day prep, to add another optional element.

There's an online option, you can do it very quickly and it takes effect immediately.

So the student wouldn't know if the Inst enrolled him, huh?

That could happen, I suppose.

I have my students fill out the Roster so i can have the required information, then use DAN's website to enroll them. I find that fast and easy.
Or you can give the student the URL for DAN is my buddy and let them do it themselves.
Additionally as Walter said send the roster to DAN by snail mail.

Key is to inform them of the option. from that point on its their decision.

Wouldnt this play into the good vs the bad? I remember getting certified, and when we filled out all of our liability forms, the shop had us fill out the DAN form, and they took care of it.

The insurance only lasted till our last check out dive though.

But isnt it lazyness?

Not so much laziness as time management.

The instructors primary concern is to teach you to dive safely.
If he or she is willing to add additional time to an optional discussion about DAN is my buddy is an individual decision we each have to make.

Perhaps those that don't promote the program just feel they need to concentrate on other factors directly related to skill development.

A lil advertising wouldnt hurt? Refer the students to the website so the students can sign up themselves. If they dont, their loss.

How do the instructors find out about this benefit that DAN offers? Is it part of the Instructor training, or word of mouth?

A lil advertising wouldnt hurt? Refer the students to the website so the students can sign up themselves. If they dont, their loss.

How do the instructors find out about this benefit that DAN offers? Is it part of the Instructor training, or word of mouth?

As I recall when they started the program, DAN sent me a starter kit of cards, tags, and a video to show the class.

Wow, I wouldn't say I forgot about DAN, but yeah, think I am going to have to read up on it and take advantage of it. Glad I came across this thread.

Back
Top Bottom