Why Are Wing Comfort Harnesses Frowned Upon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct, I misread his post! He says an Ali plate..

I'd need to go rent/buy inferior Ali tanks and train in a config I don't normally dive with. Genuis
Please explain how they'd be inferior, while they basically solve your problem...

Please explain how they'd be inferior, while they basically solve your problem...

I dive steel cylinders and also refer to them as inferior. Why? They have crap buoyancy characteristics IMO, they have a lower psi threshold compared to the steels I use.

Yeah, better be tons overweighted... sounds about right.

At least dive neutral steels if you're in the situation of having no inherent buoyancy and consider aluminium to be "inferior".

Yeah, better be tons overweighted... sounds about right.

At least dive neutral steels if you're in the situation of having no inherent buoyancy and consider aluminium to be "inferior".

Like the additional weight you need to carry to compensate when the ALI's become positive buoyant???

I use less weight on double steel 12 twins than with twin 80's, not sure where the "tons over-weighted" comes from. Have you even dived steel before??

Last edited:
not sure where the "tons over-weighted" comes from.
Oh I dunno, maybe from this
"they forget that others dive in warm with little exposure protection and with steel tanks so like extra buoyancy" ? (that's an actual quote from diving dubai)

And yes, I used them...
Just as an FYI, overweighting is not about the amount of weight you carry, it's the whole rig. I'm more than happy to read that you have the common sense required to understand that steel 12's are heavier underwater than 80s and therefore require less lead. That doesn't mean that throwing you in a 3mm wetsuit with those steel 12's wouldn't make you heavily overweighted, even without additional lead... which makes steel tanks a terrible choice for diving with little to no exposure suits.

For what it is worth I certified in double 95s and a shorty on my last class. We did the dump the wing and swim them up half full drill and it was very do able I was just slightly negative when we were at 300 psi. At first my instructor was worried I would be over weighted but they are almost perfect. Every diver is different.

Simply put if you compare an AL 80 and a Steel 15L which I use - With out going into all the variables of different manufacturers.

At the end of the dive there is 4lb difference approx between the two but the 15L steel has about 33% more gas (200 bar vs 230)

So in that instance weigh up the options the15L is the better for our diving.

If we go to a 13L Ali then the Ali tank weights more on the surface, has similar negativity as a Steel and holds less gas (25% less) so the Steel wins

Putting a personal slant on it. My wife dives Steel 12L so at the end of a dive we surface with roughly the same gas pressure.

Furthermore, we take into the specific considerations pertaining to our locality - distance from help, unpredictable tides etc and as a group prefer to have added contingency. Thus we all dive cylinders larger than we would in a different location.

For the record this "policy" was determined long before I arrived by others far more qualified and experienced than I

Oh I dunno, maybe from this
"they forget that others dive in warm with little exposure protection and with steel tanks so like extra buoyancy" ? (that's an actual quote from diving dubai)

And yes, I used them...
Just as an FYI, overweighting is not about the amount of weight you carry, it's the whole rig. I'm more than happy to read that you have the common sense required to understand that steel 12's are heavier underwater than 80s and therefore require less lead. That doesn't mean that throwing you in a 3mm wetsuit with those steel 12's wouldn't make you heavily overweighted, even without additional lead... which makes steel tanks a terrible choice for diving with little to no exposure suits.

Ill-informed you are....... You are correct, it's not about the weight you carry, its the whole rig inclusive of lead you require for ALI's. Diving with ali's (+lead) and no exposure protection is going to have the same issues as steel (no weight) with no exposure protection.

I rather prefer using SMB, or swimming up my steels up than trying to stay down in the event of "lead loss" which makes ALI a terrible choice.

According to my Fundies study materials for my upcoming class, GUE style diving is team diving and every member of the team wears the same rig. This makes it easy for a team member to manipulate another's rig without even having to think about it, because your wearing the same rig and you are already farmiliar with it. For example, you can easily find their knife in 0' viz, you know exactly where the buckle is, etc, etc. Different divers wearing different harnesses breaks that uniformity standard. Breaking that standard has the potential to increase task loading during an emergency, precisely the time when you want less, not more. It a way to minimize risk. That's one of the reasons. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom