Question Why backplates are found in a wide variety of prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d_asensio

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi fellow divers! This is my first post in this forum!

I am considering to buy my first backplate and wing, and I don't understand why backplates are so different in price. I understand that the material, thickness and galvanised can affect the price, but looking online one can find backplates of the same material ranging from 99eur. to 500eur. (barely).

So my question is simple: Does it makes sense to spend more money in a backplate from a practical standpoint? Or should I just get the cheapest option that meets my needs (material, weight, etc.).

Thank you in advance!

Like most of scuba, brand and non-performance factors have a huge influence on preferences.

However many people (n) respond to your question, the opinions will be n+1.

With the exception of some minor features that ease donning/doffing, a diver can’t tell the difference in the water among similar lift capacity bp/w bcds that are fitted to them.

buy the one that excites you. Buy a used freedom plate to signal that you’re old school. buy a DGX set up to signal that value is more important than flash. Buy XDeep if you want to flash money. Buy Halcyon if you want to flash money and GUE gang signs simultaneously.

good luck. Whatever you choose will be fine.

Hi fellow divers! This is my first post in this forum!

I am considering to buy my first backplate and wing, and I don't understand why backplates are so different in price. I understand that the material, thickness and galvanised can affect the price, but looking online one can find backplates of the same material ranging from 99eur. to 500eur. (barely).

So my question is simple: Does it makes sense to spend more money in a backplate from a practical standpoint? Or should I just get the cheapest option that meets my needs (material, weight, etc.).

Thank you in advance!
I use a plastic backplate. It costs less than 40 eur, including harness. Very lightweight. And a very confortable handle.
My tank is a 15 liters steel, so no need to add weight on my back.
See here: Schienalino per bombola | TEK Evolution

I use a plastic backplate. It costs less than 40 eur, including harness. Very lightweight. And a very confortable handle.
My tank is a 15 liters steel, so no need to add weight on my back.
See here: Schienalino per bombola | TEK Evolution
Like most of scuba, brand and non-performance factors have a huge influence on preferences.

However many people (n) respond to your question, the opinions will be n+1.

With the exception of some minor features that ease donning/doffing, a diver can’t tell the difference in the water among similar lift capacity bp/w bcds that are fitted to them.

buy the one that excites you. Buy a used freedom plate to signal that you’re old school. buy a DGX set up to signal that value is more important than flash. Buy XDeep if you want to flash money. Buy Halcyon if you want to flash money and GUE gang signs simultaneously.

good luck. Whatever you choose will be fine.

Thank you guys for your answers!

Buy second hand!

Don't buy one that has words like "Tek" emblazoned on it as it'll be expensive.

You may need two: stainless for the sea, aluminium for freshwater and travel.

Harnesses are cheap -- if they're not full of clips and have logos over them.

Wings: they're expensive new, much less second hand. Need the right size, one for single cylinders and a larger one for twinsets/doubles. Doughnut is best as opposed to horseshoe. No bungees either!

Backplate is a backplate, you can go cheap on that and the harness, and use the saved money for a decent wing

Prices vary because …
a standard very low cost plate can be found all over, it always good to start with low cost and used if you find a good deal. DGX has a great package price.

the harness is the part you’ll interact with the most, once it’s set up for YOU you will likely not give it any more thought.

that said I’m diving an S tek from SP and really appreciate the different shape and neutral back pad while here in curaçao diving in nothing but a swim suit and rash guard.

buy cheap first, try to find a freedom plate when you can because they are worth the money.

There are quality differences in machining, too, like to what extent cuts and holes are rounded out and smoothed or are sharp / have burrs etc. How much any of that matters is personal preference of course.

Buy second hand!

Don't buy one that has words like "Tek" emblazoned on it as it'll be expensive.

You may need two: stainless for the sea, aluminium for freshwater and travel.

Harnesses are cheap -- if they're not full of clips and have logos over them.

Wings: they're expensive new, much less second hand. Need the right size, one for single cylinders and a larger one for twinsets/doubles. Doughnut is best as opposed to horseshoe. No bungees either!
Second hand is the way to go. Do you mind explaining why stainless for sea and aluminum for freshwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom