Question Why backplates are found in a wide variety of prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second hand is a plus...

I sure do miss DSS plates though.

I use an Halcyon bp and a bp bought in Leisurepro for less than 100 $ and cannot tell the difference, except that the Halcyon is aesthetically more pleasant .

You need more weight in seawater, all other things equal, to achieve proper buoyancy.
Well, not everywhere. Here in Italy salt water means the mediterranean, which is not very cold, so we use a 5mm wet suit or even a 3mm in summer.
Instead fresh water means alpine lakes, which are very cold, requiring a 7 mm wet suit, hence more weight.
As said, I use a plastic back plate everywhere, and I simply change the number of weights in my belt.
You usually find lead weights on site, so I really do not see the point in carrying from home an heavy backplate.

Well, not everywhere. Here in Italy salt water means the mediterranean, which is not very cold, so we use a 5mm wet suit or even a 3mm in summer.
Instead fresh water means alpine lakes, which are very cold, requiring a 7 mm wet suit, hence more weight.
As said, I use a plastic back plate everywhere, and I simply change the number of weights in my belt.
You usually find lead weights on site, so I really do not see the point in carrying from home an heavy backplate.

Correct, although in winter many people use semidry suits in the 7-8mm range or even drysuits in winter... But on average I agree.

Obviously, with a dry suit one may need more weight and metal BPs become more convenient, although there is also another variable to consider: traveling. If traveling a lot, lighter BPs may be convenient even for drysuit divers.

I can mention steel, aluminium, carbon an plastic BP, but there might be others (?) - they all have different density, weight and characteristics.

Last point to the OP: if you frequently go techdiving to very busy places, you may find people with very similar equipment. In this case, having something more personalized might be an advantage, and usually it costs much more. But there exist also cheap way to personalize the equipment (adding pieces of line, bungees, colour, etc.)

Anyway, 500$ is definitely not worth it. Spend this money only if you really like it and this type of expenses is painless for you (e.g. you are very rich - which I hope for you)

markup and imported from china vs made in the US/EU. cheap ones are imported from china. cheaper labor, less quality control, poorer finishing, and lower quality steel/aluminum. but since its a hunk of metal that isn't particularly stressed, its not really a big deal. and even with a standard markup, the initial cost is low enough that it keeps retail pricing still pretty cheap. you cut out the middleman though with aliexpress and the plates are even cheaper.

something made in the US/EU with better steel/aluminum, better finishing/QC, and more expensive labor will cost a lot more. then add on a bigger markup and hence why it is like 4X the price.

Wow! Thank you everybody for your responses! This was very helpful to me ☺️

In the end I decided to go for a DTD complete set with a 3mm aluminium bought from a local store. This is the one:

I am using a very lightweight BCD (Cressi patrol) ATM and I don't need any weights when I am diving in my 5mm wetsuit. That's the reason why I choose aluminium :)

Wing materials are pretty good for the price: Cover Cordura 2000, high-frequency welded inner tube Cordura 560 with PU seam coating, zip YKK

I did not buy it yet, but I am pretty convinced with that option.

Thank you everybody for your comments and help, I will upload some photos and write my comments after I dive it, since I did not find much info online about DTD.

In the end I decided to go for a DTD complete set with a 3mm aluminium bought from a local store. This is the one:

I am using a very lightweight BCD (Cressi patrol) ATM and I don't need any weights when I am diving in my 5mm wetsuit. That's the reason why I choose aluminium :)

Wing materials are pretty good for the price: Cover Cordura 2000, high-frequency welded inner tube Cordura 560 with PU seam coating, zip YKK

Thank you everybody for your comments and help, I will upload some photos and write my comments after I dive it, since I did not find much info online about DTD.
This looks like an excellent choice!
Good job 👍

DTD has a good reputation in Europe, especially among the cave diving community. Good choice, at a good price! Enjoy it!

Hi fellow divers! This is my first post in this forum!

I am considering to buy my first backplate and wing, and I don't understand why backplates are so different in price. I understand that the material, thickness and galvanised can affect the price, but looking online one can find backplates of the same material ranging from 99eur. to 500eur. (barely).

So my question is simple: Does it makes sense to spend more money in a backplate from a practical standpoint? Or should I just get the cheapest option that meets my needs (material, weight, etc.).

Thank you in advance!
Different manufacturing locations, different quality of materials, different fit/finish, etc. There is a million reasons. If you are in the market for one, just avoid the aliexpress cheap chinese garbage and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom