Why didn't I handle a freeflow situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had just completed my confined water dives last weekend. Of course we did the "free flow" scenario/skill and it didn’t' seem too bad. However, being in shallow water (and a comfortable environment such as a pool) and in addition knowing what was coming I'm sure that made the skill seem rather simple. I could only imagine in a real situation having the reg launch out of your mouth or at least startle you with a sudden burst of uncontrolled air would be rather challenging for those of us with little experience with it. Great post Divemaster 2011, as a reminder to us newbies (and anyone else) that skills and drills should be practiced continuously; so if and when they are needed we will be that much more comfortable with the situation! Thanks for posting your experience.

jR

Why the attack???!!! When I got certified in 1995 at Blue Bubble in Coz I don't recall having done that. It wasn't even required that you know how to swim. My first dive was to 126' on Palancar Reef. That doesn't happen anymore!
That seemed a bit much, huh. But it does help to complete your profile. Some of the info then shows up on your posts and one can then look closer for more info.

I certified in 2001 and I don't remember the drill. We probly did it; just don't know.

I'll be the guy to throw out a negative.....some people simply do NOT handle emergencies well at all. I've been in law enforcement since I was 18 (military & civilian) and seen enough of them in my days.

That said, I agree that you DID handle this with more control than you think. The fact that you had presence of mind to get air flowing into your lungs suggests that. Don't stop diving. Hell, if anything, you're a better diver for it!!

We've all had our moments of panic, and the first one is the scariest. It shakes you to your core. The best thing you can do is to keep diving and keep learning. The Rescue Course is great. I had an issue at 111' the other week, and even though I was on the edge of panic, my training kicked in and I was able to get my buddy's attention and make it back to the boat safely.

I agree with Herman.. I was new with maybe 20 dive and had a OOA situation. (That is to long of a story to tell) but the wek before my wife and I spent time doing OOA situations. When it happened it was just like a drill. I gave her the signal and got her octo relaxed and made a slow acent from 80 feet. PRACTISE is in my opion the only was to be able to handle things when they realy happen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom