Why didn't skins help slide ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saint_Thomas

Registered
Reaction score
I ordered Henderson lycra skins for my wife and I, to help with putting on 7mm full suits.

We tried them as soon as they arrived, (in the living room) but it didn't help.

We were very disappointed that it didn't make any difference, especially after reading that it would.

I called one of the instructors @ Scuba.com to ask why, and he didn't know why.

Possible reasons:

The Akona 7mm (which are great) has glide skin at ankle, wrist, and neck. Maybe glideskin doesn't slide good on lycra.

They need to be wet? That wouldn't be good, we boat dive in Lake Michigan, and would not want to dip skin or suit in water first, or have to carry warm water.

Or is it that its just "HYPE" about their aiding slide?

By the way, thumb loops work, but stirrups don't unless you hook them on your toes.

If no magic answers, we will try suit juice next.

I packed them up and sent them back.

Thanks for your time, folks.

Try shopping bags over hands and feet next

I used to wear pantyhose under the rental wetsuit I wore. :embarass:

Before I figured it out, it took over 10 minutes of intense struggling to get that wetsuit on. Then I had to worry about overheating while I got my gloves, booties, hood and BCD on. I usually started suiting up about 30 minutes early, and if I got done before my buddy, I would cool down in the 50 something deg, PNW water.

With the pantyhose, that wetsuit would glide on and it took about 3 minutes to get everything on. And no issue with heat.

Then I bought my own wetsuit with the pseudo water seals in the wrists and calves. It slid on much easier, and eliminated the need for the nylons.

The only issue I had was: What would my dive buddies think if they saw me in nylons? So I wore nude color, sheer to waist Leggs. One pair would last for about 4 dives before disintegrating. Then I found out my buddies didn't care. It's what works, not what it looks like, that's important.

The seals would do it.

Just spray a little suit snot on your calves and forearms and you won't need the skin. My Bare suits have the same features and I get in and out with ease.

Mix about 2 parts water with 1 part cheap hair conditioner and put it in a spray bottle.

Pete

I have a 7mm Akona and use a skin (dive goddess), slides right on, no issues with the seals.

Rishidian:
I used to wear pantyhose under the rental wetsuit I wore. :embarass:

The only issue I had was: What would my dive buddies think if they saw me in nylons? So I wore nude color, sheer to waist Leggs. One pair would last for about 4 dives before disintegrating. Then I found out my buddies didn't care. It's what works, not what it looks like, that's important.

Maybe your buddies thought you had good legs. Ever thought of that? :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom