Why different set-up ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is really a matter of preference. Recreational SCUBA has always been vavle up and it is hard to change 100 years of tridition.

Commercial divers (in the U.S.) wear a cylinder on their back as an emergency breathing source and usually it is valve down so the diver can reach the valve handle.

xfitup.jpg

Navy divers wear them valve up..

monitordiveops.jpg

Why, I don't know.

muddiver:
It is really a matter of preference. Recreational SCUBA has always been vavle up and it is hard to change 100 years of tridition.

For the most part, recreational SCUBA is barely 60 years old (there were a few exceptions). But, I agree that we have the valves on top because that is the way we have "always " done it.

Very few Scuba equipment manufacturers ever "go out on limb" and introduce truly innovative gear and/or systems that don't follow the norm (there have been exceptions, like Thalasamania shows above).

Valve on the bottom would want to have guards and the regulator configurations would not follow the "standard". Neither is a big deal, but it doesn't follow standards.

It surely would go against the tech diver (Hogarthian, DIR, etc.) trend of standard equipment that exist at present. Valves on the bottom seems like a better configuration IMHO for tech diving, but that is not the way they do it.

I could be totally off the wall, but I thought the orignal SCUBA had a double hose single regulator (not 2 distinct stages) that needed to be at about the same depth the the divers mouth. Thus it required a valve up orientation. Am I crazy?

GrumpyOldGuy:
I could be totally off the wall, but I thought the orignal SCUBA had a double hose single regulator (not 2 distinct stages) that needed to be at about the same depth the the divers mouth. Thus it required a valve up orientation. Am I crazy?
You are right about the double hose regulator and where it was best located.

Done in Europe a lot!

GrumpyOldGuy:

You are somewhat correct. Double hose regulators need the regulator main diaphragm close to your lungs (on your back, or on your chest). But, Cousteau and the Calypso team had many systems with valves on the bottom and tubing to mount the regulator in the optimal position.

It is too bad that a lot of the experience and knowledge obtained by Cousteau and his team is quickly being lost.

Look at some of the pictures from the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau:
http://www.flashbackscuba.com/museum/New_Museum.html
I have to thank Ryan for his on line museum of Cousteau equipment...etc.

Here is just one example of a system with valves on the bottom:
11.jpg

14.jpg

Here is another example with valves top and bottom (the bottom was for the reserve air):
This are 5000 psi titanium tanks with a yoke fitting on top for a double hose regulator.
12.jpg

11.jpg

And here is a chest mounted regulator system with valves again easily accessible on the bottom of the pack:
8.jpg

10.jpg

Please visit Ryan's web site for many more pictures and information.

The "Calypso-Pack" was by far the most comfortable, with the diaphragm right at the middle of the chest.
10.jpg

Gee, I think I remember actually seeing these on TV when I was a kid.... very cool! (Or I am senile and I think I remember seeing them).

Thalassamania:
The "Calypso-Pack" was by far the most comfortable, with the diphram right at the middle of the chest.
10.jpg

I have used my new Mistral with the second stage chest mounted. It probably was the easiest breathing regulator ever (only in that configuration).

IMHO the fact that you can separate the second stage of the new Mistral and chest mount it is one of the very few redeeming values of that regulator. IMO chest mounting is not all that practical for every day diving, but it is fun to try it.

GrumpyOldGuy:
Gee, I think I remember actually seeing these on TV when I was a kid.... very cool! (Or I am senile and I think I remember seeing them).

You probably saw it in the early 70's.
The last two pictures are from The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, which televised during the early 70's.

There is a lot more pictures and all kinds of great information in Ryan's web site:
http://www.flashbackscuba.com/museum/New_Museum.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom