Why different set-up ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis H:
I have used my new Mistral with the second stage chest mounted. It probably was the easiest breathing regulator ever (only in that configuration).

IMHO the fact that you can separate the second stage of the new Mistral and chest mount it is one of the very few redeeming values of that regulator. IMO chest mounting is not all that practical for every day diving, but it is fun to try it.
Got a picture of that rig? I'd love to see it. I dove the Calypso-Pack way-back-when and it was so much more comfortable than what we were diving back then (Voit MR-12 and Dacor 300).

Thalassamania:
Got a picture of that rig? I'd love to see it. I dove the Calypso-Pack way-back-when and it was so much more comfortable than what we were diving back then (Voit MR-12 and Dacor 300).

I may have some pictures from our last vintage equipment dive gathering in Florida (Sand Dog IV), but I have to look for them.

It was nothing special. I just tied the new Mistral second stage to the sternum strap on my harness and used a long LP hose under my arm with LP shut off valve (free-flow control valve). The shut off valve allowed me to swim on the surface with a snorkel without having the regulator free-flowing (since the hoses where going to be above the diaphragm).

Ryan has made a reproduction of the Cousteau Hydrodynamic Shell for at least one museum. He also has full working reproductions (and a lot of original equipment) that he dives in our vintage equipment dive gatherings.

Here's what I was told. The reason we have our "Fire" tanks upside down is because when we enter a structure to fight a fire, we also tear down the ceiling at some of these structures. Better to have the ceiling chunks falling on tank end than on valve.
By the way, our first stage reg is not on valve. There is a hose attached to valve that goes up alongside the tank and attaches to first stage reg on your back.
I would prefer scuba tanks mounted this way. But that's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom