why do people do this ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
And Hank just provided one reasonable answer ... which addresses why I asked the question.

As an instructor, I see this from time to time ... for some it's their sole reason for getting into scuba diving. It's these people I want to reach. Will discussions like this one change them? Probably not ... but it might give them something to think about before they reach too far trying to conquer their fears and end up being the subject of a future thread in this forum.

Conquering your fears doesn't have to involve taking reckless risks ... education, training, and practice don't make someone a coward ... it makes them prudent. If you really want to seize that spirit of adventure, don't take shortcuts ... make the effort to understand what you're getting into.

And if all you want is a wild ride ... a thrilling experience you can brag about to your friends ... and you don't want to put any real effort into risk management ... then go to Six Flags. Scuba diving isn't an appropriate activity for that sort of attitude ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Do you really think diving is a "thrill"? I don't get the thrill factor with diving (whitewater-yes, skydiving-yes, but not diving). Diving is incredible peaceful and surreal to me. Very calming, not adrenaline pumping. And the beauty..... Of course I haven't been face to face with a great white yet either.

kristi hager:
Do you really think diving is a "thrill"? I don't get the thrill factor with diving .

At the risk of getting chastised....62 meters down in a strong current with gray reef sharks cruising around at the bottom of a big wall in great vis.....yes, it's pretty thrilling. I was pumped and stoked ....kind of like surfing.

Hank49:
At the risk of getting chastised....62 meters down in a strong current with gray reef sharks cruising around at the bottom of a big wall in great vis.....yes, it's pretty thrilling. I was pumped and stoked ....kind of like surfing.

Big wall and great vis I understand. I'll have to add current and sharks for the full effect. I believe you though.

lamont:
When I see EAN28 i immediately think 'bad dive plan' without needing to know anything else about the dive...

That's not always true. Just last month I did a whole series of dives with lower O2 contents. 26%, then 28%, 30% and finally around 32%. I just took that many top-off's with 32% over air/lower nitrox to finally get to 32%. (So nice to get nitrox by the cubic foot)

kristi hager:
Do you really think diving is a "thrill"? I don't get the thrill factor with diving (whitewater-yes, skydiving-yes, but not diving). Diving is incredible peaceful and surreal to me. Very calming, not adrenaline pumping. And the beauty..... Of course I haven't been face to face with a great white yet either.
Kristi ... I'll assume you're addressing this to me, although I don't think I've ever indicated any such thing.

I don't dive for thrill ... I dive to relax. Those who dive with me can attest that I'm VERY relaxed when I dive. I push myself in different ways ... my "limits" have more to do with precision than with depth or conditions. I find being able to hold a stop ... without even twitching a fin tip ... for several minutes while watching a critter that might be frightened by diver movements to be extremely satisfying.

But different people dive for different reasons, and for some pushing the limits of depth and diving conditions IS a thrill. There's nothing wrong with that. Where it goes south is when they push limits without knowing, or being prepared for, what might go wrong that can jeopardize themselves and the people they're diving with.

You see it all the time ... the diver(s) who drift-dive a ripping pass, or go deeper than recreational limits, without either the skills or experience to do the dive safely. I've seen 'em at 100+ fsw with gauges in the red zone, or so narc'ed they don't know which way is in. Most times they'll be OK ... although probably terrified till it's all over and the bragging starts ... because someone else is watching out for them.

But sometimes, either through ignorance or happenstance, they end up accident statistics ... and for what ... bragging rights?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No, you didn't suggest that YOU did it for the thrill, but that others do. And I agree that they do, but it isn't what I get out of it, so it's hard to relate to that.

Did that make any sense???

Gotta go, appt to be at. Can maybe make more sense later if necessary.

in_cavediver:
That's not always true. Just last month I did a whole series of dives with lower O2 contents. 26%, then 28%, 30% and finally around 32%. I just took that many top-off's with 32% over air/lower nitrox to finally get to 32%. (So nice to get nitrox by the cubic foot)

i guess i'm assuming that EAN28 was due to plan and not due to top-offs...

The tanks percentages varied from 28% to 38% each day. I had a tank marked 30% and measured 34%, I had a tank marked 34% and tested 30%. We never knew what we would get until we checked them and then adjusted our max depth to the percentages.

Bob, as a new diver, I can relate to your attitude about precision - I get a "thrill" out of now being able to hover AND take the photo of the little critter (in focus - while checking the computer and gas...) - and still get a thrill over seeing new stuff, etc.

I don't know why Don did the bounce dive but I do know this: I was at his side on the boat when he came back up, obviously proud of the 182 fsw showing on his computer (he told me and showed me) and said "you can do 28% on a bounce dive - no problem".

The issue for most of us, was NOT that Don was foolish (in our eyes) it was that he jeopardized 1) 18 other divers entire remaining vacation (9 more dives at least) and 2) the reputation of both the shop and the resort. None of us, I believe, were tech divers with the proper training - excepting the shop owner and perhaps one of the DM’s. I questioned the owner later, and he said that he specifically told Don that dives > 130 fsw were “not allowed” on air – only mix, and he was not qualified.

Don – if you want to be a cowboy diver – that’s OK with me – but please do it on the lone “prairie” – NOT on a boat with 18 other rec divers… good luck – you’ll need it.

DandyDon:
. I posted a partial explanation on the report thread - more than deserved. here There were other details I didn't post as I am just sick of the gossip, as well as the way people have taken it for fact.

I cant access this link (maybe a singles only thing? ) Could someone copy and paste it please? thanks

Back
Top Bottom