Why do people remove artifacts from wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Removing artifacts is just another term for salvage. In the United States, the law is not an anarchistic or absolute "finders keepers" but a constitutional process where the US Court system functions as an admiralty court with a set of procedures for due process and awarding the salvage using a set of concepts. I have watched the US district court in Anchorage perform the awarding of such a wreck over the objection of the state of Alaska on the grounds that they did not follow the procedure. The system works when people play by the rules.

Why do people remove artifacts? Because the human race have a genetic disorder imprinted into our genes by society. It called GREED!

I've never understood it myself. I liken it to riding your favorite roller coaster and removing a few bolts from the track on the way home as a souvenir. Just doesn't make sense.

That is a totally absurd analog
you are comparing removing an artifact for asinine ship to removing fasteners from a ride that could potentially kill someone..
that is a ridiculous arguent

His argument is no less ridiculous then the absurdness of the argument that it makes sense to strip wrecks so some trinket can sit in a box in the back of your closet for 40 years and then eventually be thrown away or sold in a garage sale after you die.

His argument is no less ridiculous then the absurdness of the argument that it makes sense to strip wrecks so some trinket can sit in a box in the back of your closet for 40 years and then eventually be thrown away or sold in a garage sale after you die.

Which is no less ridiculous than allowing those "trinkets" to be lost to the ravages of the ocean in a few years. And around and around we go.

This discussion could go for years. Then there are maritime law issues that can fill volumes. Remember all the gold and silver coins that had to be repatriated back to Spain?

This discussion could go for years. Then there are maritime law issues that can fill volumes. Remember all the gold and silver coins that had to be repatriated back to Spain?

Completely different issue. There was a lot of back-door politics involved in that.

of course it is ......
removing artifacts don't endanger the lives of others... removing the bolts would ..two totally different levels.

ummmm.....
Correct me if I am wrong,
But for the most part, ALL of the gold, silver, emeralds and some of the other stuff ought NOT to have been "repatriated" to Espana, but instead should be given to the descendants of the slave labor in Africa, and The Americas where it was taken from, pretty much at the end of a gun or a sword.
You could build a lot of schools, hospitals, and still have money left to staff them.
Chug
Thinks that someone has been crapping on someone, for well over 10,000 years.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom