Why do we call them computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3dent:
I'm now really tired of my own thread. One I originally thought would be interesting. At least I got paid for it.

Maybe I'll go off somewhere and ask what we should call modern electronic tools/gadgets. Since the suffix 'ology' means 'the study of,' than 'technology' means???? Study of techniques??

But I digress. It's time to go home.

At least you ask questions rather than accept things blindly. Some people don't appreciate inquisitiveness or creativity.

In my first job, they thought I was crazy when I took pencils, tape, string and a big stapler to demonstrate a controversial lift beam concept. Didn't stop them from using it to this day though.

simbrooks:
To take the acronym ball and run with it:
So what could you call it by the modern definition, i think the name is fine, would you call it a Personal Diving Assistant - no PDA is already gone, PDTables? PDCalculator? or should you do away with the personal part even though the results are personal to you as its by your unique profile (recall the dont dive on your buddy's computer issue). Individual DT or IDC (again taken), IDA?

I think MtnDiver nailed it.

MtnDiver:
I think "Automated Air-Integrated Diving Nitrogen Loading Calculator and Depth Indicator with Built-In Logging Capabilities" just rolls off the tongue so much smoother than "Dive Computer".

But that's just me. :eyebrow:

AAIDNLCDIBILC

OR, how about PDM, or Personal Dive Master, since the DM is supposed to take care of all that stuff anyway. (Flame away, I'm outahere.)

Nope PDM is taken, Product Data Management.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom