Why do we dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blacthorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Why do I dive?

Is it the rush, the excitement, that chance to feel like I am flying as only Superman would know? The reason I dive is simple and I guess very complicated as well. When I dive, I feel like I have come home. The first time I dove it felt like being pulled into the embrace of the most loving and wonderful mother you could dream of. I knew I had made it home. That is the feeling I get every time that I dive.

Its more in the ocean than in a lake or any fresh water for me, but still there is nothing else that compares, no matter the water. Pool, lake, quarry, pond, Ocean, whatever. It doesn’t matter it all feels like walking into your home on Christmas eve, the warmth, the love, the acceptance. Mother Aqua takes all her children, and embraces them.

So, why do you dive?

Blacthorn:
Why do I dive?

Is it the rush, the excitement, that chance to feel like I am flying as only Superman would know? The reason I dive is simple and I guess very complicated as well. When I dive, I feel like I have come home. The first time I dove it felt like being pulled into the embrace of the most loving and wonderful mother you could dream of. I knew I had made it home. That is the feeling I get every time that I dive.

Its more in the ocean than in a lake or any fresh water for me, but still there is nothing else that compares, no matter the water. Pool, lake, quarry, pond, Ocean, whatever. It doesn’t matter it all feels like walking into your home on Christmas eve, the warmth, the love, the acceptance. Mother Aqua takes all her children, and embraces them.

So, why do you dive?

Anytime I'm doing a dive its the most absolute sense of completeness I've ever experienced in my life. I dont dive just because, or to see how deep I can get or to up my dive number....I dive because I'm in love with the peacefulness, and fullfillment I get in those precious moments I get I get down there! Everything else is just an added bonus the way I see it.

Because it is like getting to visit another world. One where it is not quite as dirty and not quite as busy so you can just hang out and watch the locals. That and the chicks dig it. You know.

I dive because my downstairs room is full of expensive scuba gear whose purchase I have to justify somehow . . . :)

TSandM:
I dive because my downstairs room is full of expensive scuba gear whose purchase I have to justify somehow . . . :)
I find that taking the missus to Bonaire regularly removes all need for answers... :)

Lately, I've been doing more and more challenging dives just for the challenge of executing them. I'm not sure why I'm doing this. My favorite kind of diving is a strong current drift dive where I feel like I'm flying in a alien landscape. I also enjoy the strange reef creatures and studying the reef environment.

Because I've always done it. Just about as long as I can remember. You might as well ask why do I walk.

Blacthorn:
Mother Aqua takes all her children, and embraces them.

She'll also drown your butt before you can say roudolph red pecker. Not so sure I want a mother that can drown me , but I hear ya. Its just so peiceful down there!!!

But the main reasaon I dive is to find cool stuff on the bottom!!!!!!!!

Because I LOVE the look I get from people! :)

Well, only partly. I dive because I have always been interested in ships, especially warships. They tend to be more accessible underwater than on land. I also enjoy the peace and serenity of it all. The world disappears for a while.

Back
Top Bottom