why do we pay so much

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looped:
Specialty stores are almost always going to be higher priced on 'common items'. Why? Because they are going for the idea that people want a 'get it all in one place' place :). They are probably going to be comparable priced on the 'big' stuff, regs, masks, fins, bc's etc etc. They have to be since they are going to be competing with online / wholesalers etc etc. For the other stuff, they will bump their prices, knowing that most people would rather spend the $10 - $20 - $50 more in one place, then having to go to a number of other places, maybe only spending $20 instead of $50, but taking 1/2 a day to do it. If I'm comfortable with a company, and know they arent ripping me on the big items, I'll pay for their existence and such for the smaller items that I KNOW they are making good money one.

For the knowledge and comfort of a local store, I'm willing to pay extra for that. There are some folks that will spend 2 months looking at EVERY place in the world to get the best price. That's fine, but I'm willing to forgo that to a point, to KNOW that I'll have someone I can go talk with, that I can understand, if I have a problem.

This is the same arguement I made about the corner hardware store vs the big box merchant and its very true. The LDS problem is that the 'big' items AREN'T competively priced with online merchants and when forced to compete, they are crying foul to the consumers rather than learning how to compete (or if its really even possible)

in_cavediver:
This is the same arguement I made about the corner hardware store vs the big box merchant and its very true. The LDS problem is that the 'big' items AREN'T competively priced with online merchants and when forced to compete, they are crying foul to the consumers rather than learning how to compete (or if its really even possible)

Well it is much harder to compete with 'garage' internet stores, and true brick and mortar stores. Not impossible, but brick and mortar have more employees ususally, more rent / taxes / other BS stuff then someone basically selling out of their garage on the internet. It's a problem that's going to be around forever IMO :).

I guess IMO if a face to face store is within 10-12% on larger items, and I think they WANT me as a customer I'd go with the local store, 12-20% would be iffy (if they were VERY VERY helpful, and really made me fell like they cared about my happiness / safety etc etc), and over 20%, sorry I'm netting it :). On smaller priced items (under 40-$50) I'll almost always go with the local folks..

There will be as many different opinions about this as there are grains of sand on the beaches :)

looped:
Well it is much harder to compete with 'garage' internet stores, and true brick and mortar stores. Not impossible, but brick and mortar have more employees ususally, more rent / taxes / other BS stuff then someone basically selling out of their garage on the internet. It's a problem that's going to be around forever IMO :).

What 'garage' internet stores are you talking about? Maybe Joe Diver. Most internet companies have more overhead expenses than the LDS. They carry more inventory, have bigger warehouses, more employees, 800 numbers, websites, etc. And most of them *are* brick and mortar stores, an LDS to someone local.

ReefHound:
What 'garage' internet stores are you talking about? Maybe Joe Diver. Most internet companies have more overhead expenses than the LDS. They carry more inventory, have bigger warehouses, more employees, 800 numbers, websites, etc. And most of them *are* brick and mortar stores, an LDS to someone local.

Sorry, I've misled, I was just talking more broadly for internet sales sites, not pointing towards scuba gear sites. I know there are very, very good i-net stores out there also.

Back
Top Bottom