Why do you dive?

What are the mean reasons you dive?

• I dive because I like the diving by itself

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • I dive because I enjoy what I see under water

Votes: 45 42.5%
  • I dive because of another reason (please indicate which reason!)

Votes: 23 21.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I loved diving because of what I can see underwater that most people never get a chance to experience. I love to take pictures of fish and plant life and show them to people, especially kids. (Saying that I dive always boosts my "cool stock" with the junior high kids I know.) However, I've been working on my AOW in a local river, and although there's little life to see (except crawdads), I realize I just like the feeling of being underwater. I'd like to think of myself as part mermaid!

drbill once bubbled...
I dive because it's there... living on an island I am surrounded by salt water so it is either swim, dive or drown if I walk too far from shore!
Seriously, I dive because there are no cell phones, fax machines, modems, etc., down there.
I dive because I enjoy the feeling of three dimensionality in my movement (I find I can actually navigate over 3-D terrain better than over a 2-D surface... because I don't drink U/W).
I dive because I'm a marine biologist and have to in pursuit of my work (we do call it work... with a big smile; a day in the "office" is a joy).
I dive because I'm an underwater videographer and there aren't any gorgonians or nudibranchs above the surface.
But mostly I dive because it is one of my consuming passions in life (next to a good beer milkshake and an intelligent woman).
Dr. Bill
I wanna be just like Dr. Bill when I grow up!!!!!! :tree:
:D I like to dive for the since of discovery (by me)...I absolutely love that I cannot hear other bicker about meager things..
I like swimming with the fishes :rolling: :fishy:

The are really three kinds of divers.

1. Those who are after something to eat.
2. Those who like to look at the cool critters.
3. Those who just like the nifty rubber suit.

Yes, one dive can be in all three at once. :D

BTW Commercial divers are generally 1 and 3, most of the time you can't see anything and are too busy getting the job done to look anyway. :rolleyes:

I started scuba because I had been skydiving since 1990, and I was curious why anyone would ever want to jump out of a perfectly good boat. :jump:

You obviously have never met my wife!

Seriously, I can't afford to travel to Paris, Spain, Greece, or many other places. But when my friends start talking about seeing the Eiffel Tower, for instance, I respond with, "Oh, but you should have seen this reef at 80 feet deep!" OK, I'm being snooty. But it is quite a rush knowing you're seeing things that less than 1 percent of the world's population will ever see. Yes, we're actually quite an elite group!

See you at the bottom!

Ken

watersprite once bubbled...
OK, I figured out what kind of diver I am. I am a holiday diver!!! ;-(

What are the mean reasons you dive?

watersprite

To relieve the stress that could initiate a tri-state shooting spree.

If I were looking for chicks, one of the last places I would scout is a dive site.

It's a rather disproportionate ratio of men & women.

I dive because I must.

Oh, and if you are looking for chicks, the best place would probably be on a poultry farm. :cluck:

I dive because every time i go abroad it is one of my 'holiday treats' now i am going to to do it in the cold waters of Scotland for, to be honest, the bug bit me in the ass years ago, i just didn't realise it till now. Have ambition to get ow and aow qualified and go dive Scapa Flow.

Back
Top Bottom