Why doesn't Rescue Diver expire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a full time, paid, professional fireman, my engine company is drilling constantly to keep our skills sharp.

Maybe the LDS could offer a refresher course, or maybe just a one day dive where the skills are practiced.

I still have my video from taking the rescue class and review it regularly. First aid and CPR need to be updated. The new recommendations are different from those of even 5 years ago.

I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I know in Oz that DAN o2 yearly refresh courses are only $50 if your previous cert hasn't expired. If the agencies were serious about diver safety, shouldn't they also develop a short rescue refresher course?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My CPR qualification has lapsed, this thread has reminded me that I need to renew it.

When asked by other divers on the boat, I just tell them that I am a photographer, hoping that statement in itself will help me to dive solo, or at least with another (serious) photographer, so we can both dive as "same dive same ocean buddies"

Wow, my thought process went in an entirely different direction than this thread did. My feeling about rescue ( and why it doesn't expire like CPR/ first aid) is because CPR/first aid is entirely skills based, and skills become rusty when they're not used. The way I teach rescue, and the way I believe it's designed to be taught, is that the important elements of rescue is a process, not a skill. Although we do learn skills, they are no brainier skills, the skill isn't the end all be all of the course. The important part of the course is how to avoid becoming the second victim, while assisting the first victim. Skill development has a secondary role to thought process management in a rescue course. That thought process development lasts way longer than skills do. I've seen instructors who only teach rescue as a series of skills, and I think that those instructors do a disservice to their students.

I think it would be very difficult to require a recert part for the rescue diver certification. I think it's up to the individual themselves to stay current in all their own training CPR included. I imagine the people who take the responsibility to do that are the ones who really are the rescue divers ,the rest just carry the card. I know I offer free or discounted AHA CPR classes in my area

Cheers
Michael

I agree with Richard that if it was temporary the number of people taking it would drop. Having a Dive Rescue card does not necessarily mean that one is capable of rescuing someone, just means you've taken the course, and for a recreational diver that's enough. For dive personnel it's another story. After all you can ask the same question about any of the skill based dive certifications, which if you made temporary would hurt participation in the sport.

Having said that, an optional low cost refresher course is not a bad idea.

Adam

Having said that, an optional low cost refresher course is not a bad idea.
Every shop I know offers low cost refresher courses. Most people think of them being for refreshing basic OW skills, but if you ask the shop if you can use it to review rescue skills, I can't believe they wouldn't agree to it. I know our shop wouldn't hesitate.

We are also starting to offer a new service that is just plain time with an instructor for whatever you want to use it for--very much like golf or skiing instruction.

I stay current to benefit myself and my dive buddies first. Living in Florida the chance of needing CPR with all the bodies of water here is pretty good. I'm also the guy who goes through the process of taking my mask off underwater and removing my BC as well as the other safety procedures. Those are all free to keep your skills up to par. CPR used to be free once a year at work. That has now come to an end with the economy...

I think the reason it doesn't expire is that the diving part of it all is considered to be a skill lesson like other dive certifications. If I were wondering about a person's first aid skills being up to date, I would ignore the rescue diver certification entirely and ask about the first aid.

Years ago, when I had only maybe 50-60 lifetime dives, I did a dive in Cozumel that featured a well-off middle aged executive and his new trophy wife. (They were at our hotel and we actually got to know them a little, so I know what I'm talking about with that comment.) She was newly certified for the trip. He, on the other hand, was a Rescue Diver, and he made sure we knew we were in good hands in case anything happened.

She was a pretty decent diver. She had very reasonable skills for a new diver, and she seemed to be having a good time.

He was a disaster. He was easily the worst diver I have ever seen in real life. The DM literally held him by the arm during most of both dives.

Fortunate for the DM he had someone in hand who could help him :D

Back
Top Bottom