Why Don't California Dive Sites Have Mooring Buoys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red -- While not bothering to look up CEQA, I think it would be safe to say that Washington has just as much, if not more, environmental red tape in order to get the permits to install a permanent buoy. The main issue is that WSA has been very successful at co-opting all the dive clubs, etc., so that there is just the one entity. They do very good work and have been involved for years with the various agencies to help write the rules so that the buoys satisfy all of the various stake holders.

The sites in Wreck Alley in San Diego have mooring buoys (Yukon, Ruby-E and NOSC Tower all have buoys). I've put some of them there myself. Wreck Alley is pretty out of the way of major traffic. I'm guessing that we don't have more permanent buoys because most of our wrecks and sites are near (or frankly, in) major shipping lines. Stands to reason that wrecks would happen where ships travel... those buoys at the surface would just get mowed down by the large number of navy, freight and pleasure craft that come through those channels every day.

Also, consider that it gets deep pretty quickly so a lot of our wrecks are pretty significantly outside of recreational depths and a permanent buoy would invite more pleasure craft to tie up and attempt dives they may not be qualified for. At least a dive boat should be checking certs, getting waivers done, etc to ensure that diving activities don't get shut down due to people doing dumb things beyond their training.

I wonder if there might be CEQA issues with setting up buoys.

There are CEQA issues with a virtually every new construction. Without doing the research, my guess is you would need Coastal Commission's blessing after a full Environmental Impact Report.

Red -- While not bothering to look up CEQA, I think it would be safe to say that Washington has just as much, if not more, environmental red tape in order to get the permits to install a permanent buoy. The main issue is that WSA has been very successful at co-opting all the dive clubs, etc., so that there is just the one entity. They do very good work and have been involved for years with the various agencies to help write the rules so that the buoys satisfy all of the various stake holders.

Believe me when I say CEQA is the worst.

. It hasn't always been easy (for example, the Navy required the removal of some after giving approval and installation due to interference with sub sonar) and it's been expensive -- but I think all of us in the Pacific Northwest appreciate the time and effort of the WSA.

Washington Scuba Alliance

Sorry I had to read this several times and still got a laugh... You mean that some multi million even billion dollar Nuclear US Navy sub can have its sonar interfered with by a few well placed mooring lines...:shocked2: God help us :shakehead:

Sorry I had to read this several times and still got a laugh... You mean that some multi million even billion dollar Nuclear US Navy sub can have its sonar interfered with by a few well placed mooring lines...:shocked2: God help us :shakehead:
More like they don't want Chinese sensors hidden in mooring buoys gathering data on subs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom