Why get Nitrox certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given that the reduction of DCS risk using nitrox over air is miniscule, I would believe that a slower ascent using air would be as safe.
Run the numbers, I think that you will find that your ascent would have to be incredibly slow to approach the decreased nitrogen load that say EAN-36 would give you at say 90 fsw.

Wrong place

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Recreational TriOx yet and it's use within recreational limits.

Its been my personal experience to feel better post dive with Nitrox. Its also been my experience to find most divers who use it tend to think that it does give a more refreshed feeling too but this is not to say all. Again this is most divers who dive it I have spoken too not a general statement.

If your teaching a class thats a considerable number of students the increased bottom time is a beniefit in itself!

Almost doubles your bottom time between depths of 60 to 100'. I said almost.

Tony Flaris
NAUI 44662

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This weekend I'll be at Sunset House on Grand Cayman for 4 nights. I'll be doing one dive the day of arrival, 2 dives a day on the boat for 3 days, the rescue course each afternoon for 3 days (which I understand involves maybe one dive total?), and will attempt to find a buddy for a shore dive the first 2 evenings. Let's see, that will be about 10 dives. Since I'll be diving air, we'll see how long my new Mares Puck computer allows me to stay down on each dive.

Hi Matt, were you talking about this past weekend or this next weekend coming up? (3/31) If on 3/31 you'll find a buddy for shore diving in the evenings with us! We are bringing a group of 19 down from Calif on Friday (some of us arrive Thurs). If you go to www.bestdiveever.com and look at the pictures there, then you'll be able to recognize us as most of the ones that went to Sunset last year are returning on this trip.

Happy Diving!

Hi Matt, were you talking about this past weekend or this next weekend coming up? (3/31) If on 3/31 you'll find a buddy for shore diving in the evenings with us! We are bringing a group of 19 down from Calif on Friday (some of us arrive Thurs). If you go to www.bestdiveever.com and look at the pictures there, then you'll be able to recognize us as most of the ones that went to Sunset last year are returning on this trip.

Happy Diving!

Hey great! I'll be at Sunset House from Thurs 3/29 to Mon 4/2. Will look for you guys!

Is TDI, or any other agency, calling for the O2 content testing of air fills?

I am not aware of any official TDI position on this. IMO, though, whether or not you test for O2% on an air fill depends upon the situation. Here in Colorado we have darned few places to dive where nitrox makes sense, so I suspect that a very large percentage of shops never make it. If you are getting air from a shop that only provides air, you are pretty safe. If you are getting it from a shop that provides a lot of different mixes, you should test every tank.

I am not aware of any official TDI position on this. IMO, though, whether or not you test for O2% on an air fill depends upon the situation. Here in Colorado we have darned few places to dive where nitrox makes sense, so I suspect that a very large percentage of shops never make it. If you are getting air from a shop that only provides air, you are pretty safe. If you are getting it from a shop that provides a lot of different mixes, you should test every tank.

I did not think so or the OW curriculum would have to add use of the O2 analyzer. I can see some situations where testing all might be justified (beyond "I can so why not"). In my case, I just changed to a shop that banks EAN but insists on a nitrox wrap. My previous shop was a PP blender and hard over on O2 cleaning and the wrap. So, if I am anticipating dives over the MOD for EAN36, I might be tempted. Otherwise, the risks are so ridiculously low, it is a bit hard to justify.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom