Why hunt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hunt bugs SCUBA and hoop net, pretty awesome to eat what you catch on your own. I'd like to get into spear guns soon for fish. I currently hunt off my kayak (rod and reel), you see one of these monsters color of a kayak, you wont go back to power boats, inshore anyways! Cool thread nonetheless! :D

wsbsstandup_1_sized.jpg

Supernal:
With all the fresh seafood in every grocery store nowdays, why go hunting? Isn't it more expensive to go get it yourself?

NOTE: I'm not opposed to hunting (as long as people eat what they hunt); I'm just curious.

It's fun, plus:

air fill = $8
gasoline = $10

vs

lobster dinner for 2 = $40ish

Dropping that little ******* that nipped your finger into a pot of boiling water = priceless

Now, Scallop diving...that generally requires a boat ride and is not particularly cost effective, nor nearly as much fun given where they tend to hang out.

In my case, Supernal has a good point in regard to hunting vs buying in the supermarket. (that is, if I COULD buy in a supermarket, which I can't here)
Gas is US$5/gallon here. I spend a minimum of $100 for gas on most days I go out, plus food, gatorade, hooks, line, spear tips, shafts, maintenance). IF I had a license and sold the fish, I'd rarely get enough to pay for half my gas. I suppose this indicates why it's so hard to find it in the markets here. It just isn't cost effective to get from the sea. However, there's nothing better than rounding the corner at Placencia, and looking back and seeing the foam and blue water in my wake, with the sun in my eyes and visions of a 15 lb hogfish hiding behind a soft coral, or a 20lb cubera swimming up to me at 50 feet.....that's what it's all about. Ya man

Why skydive? Why dive below 30 feet? Why free climb mountains? The list goes on. It is the feeling each of us gets from our pursuits that makes the passion to keep us going.

soooo, nobody thinks its testosterone. I'm just checking back. That is a great fish! What is that big thing? I bought Hawaii Freediver last night....

catherine96821:
soooo, nobody thinks its testosterone. I'm just checking back. That is a great fish! What is that big thing? I bought Hawaii Freediver last night....

It may be testosterone. Or not. But it does seem to be more of a man thing. I mean, hunting and killing things to eat. My sisters, and no sisters of any of my friends ever hunted. My girlfriend likes to go out on the boat and line fish. But she has no interest in jumping in with a speargun. On Spearboard, I'd say it's about 200:1 men to women. Why? Beats the hell out of me.

Hank, is that a Sea bass or what?

I'm not sure. I don't see those in these parts.

More men enjoy hunting than women, but when women start hunting, they usually enjoy it as well. I suspect the difference is socialization, not biology.

It's a known fact that many women are better shooters than men, most of the time, is that they don't have the gun-ho ego and don't think that they know everything and take the time to learn the correct techniques.
Men on the other side, are frecuently afraid to ask how it's the right way to do a specific task, when the men realize that they're doing it the wrong way, then they may seek advise, but many bad habits have nested in and to correct those takes more time.

I don't know many women that hunt or take on sports usually practiced by men, but the ones that do, are very proficient in the chosen discipline.

Back
Top Bottom