Why I didn't buy from my LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was going to post this in the "point of pain" thread, but it gets a little offtopic, and should maybe be in its own post.

I have a lot of complaints about my LDS. The "point of pain" to me is less about money, and more about the way the shop does business, and treats its customers.

I first became acquainted with my LDS when I was headed to Hawaii for spring break 3 years ago. At that time, I decided that I wanted to take up diving, and signed up for an Open Water course. At this time, the owner of the shop was extremely helpful to me, as was the instructor that I was partnered up with.

Due to my busy University schedule, I had essentially a 1 on 1 open water course, at least for the pool sessions. This was awesome. I finished my pool work in a couple weeks, and headed to Valdez over President's Day weekend to get certified.

That dive trip was one of the most fun trips I have taken. Most everyone from the shop went, and we had a great time. We did our dives over 2 days, and by the end of the weekend, I was certified.

But that's about where the fun stopped.

When I went back to the shop to pick up my C-Card, I started looking at gear. At this time, the shop was at a different location, and most of the prices weren't displayed. Our local LDS tends to carry the higher end equipment... DUI dry suits (nothing else), and Aqualung/Scubapro/Apeks regs. They pushed buying a drysuit almost from the moment I stepped into the shop to pick up my card.

That still didn't bother me that much. This is Alaska. Diving dry is a necessity. If I were to continue diving here, I'd need a drysuit.

When I went to Maui for break, I had a few minutes to look over gear at Lahaina Divers before our charter went out one morning. I saw the Apeks ATX200/ATX50 combo on display, for a price that was near $200 cheaper then my LDS. I started thinking that maybe my LDS had horrible prices, and when I came home, I started looking around on the internet.

That's when I ran into the entire Leisurepro/Diveinn/Gray Market hurdle. For a while, I was put off buying gear because of the insane price difference. I spoke with one of the shop employees about it (who was one of my friends), and they told me not to mention it to the owner, unless I wanted an earfull. I have a big mouth, and things eventually slipped... and I heard about it. I heard how internet dive gear would probably kill me. And how most of it is cheesy knockoffs. And that he wouldn't service it. That I'd be screwing him out of business. Etc. You've heard it all here in other posts... I had it firsthand from an angry owner.

I didn't dive for a while after that, but after a boring summer, decided to take Advanced Open Water over Thanksgiving break.

Knowing that I would be doing Navigation and Night diving, I purchased a SK-7 Compass, and a UK Light Cannon. I also purchased an Uwatec Bottom Timer from a local outdoor store. Foolishly opening my mouth again, I let slip that I could have bought the light cannon for $139 online (paid 200 for it at the LDS), and that I paid $75 less for the bottom timer at the other store. Lots of scowls.

When I came home, I dumped some batteries in the Light Cannon, and it wouldn't turn on. Zip, zilch, nada. Didn't do a damn thing. I went back to the shop the next day, and told them what the problem was. They promised that they'd take care of it.

About 3 weeks passed, and I went back to my LDS in the evening to meet the group that was headed down to Valdez for Thanksgiving. At this time I was told 2 things which made me very, very angry.

1) Unlike the Open Water class I had previously taken, and directly contrary to what I had been told about the AOW Valdez trip, I would have to pay about $100 to rent gear for the 3 day Valdez weekend. They wouldn't budge on this. It was either pay for rental gear, or don't go.

2) The faulty Light Cannon that I had bought 3 weeks prior was still in the shop, waiting for the co-owner to check it out. While I was waiting for my passenger to show (we were carpooling to Valdez), he looked at it, pronounced it dead, and told me he'd send it back to UK. I asked if I could get a rental light for the trip (free of charge of course), and was told that someone would have one for me to borrow down in Valdez.

So... that crap aside, I drove to Valdez, my Explorer loaded with dive gear for the 9 hour drive from hell. (It's a 6 hour drive... some of the nastiest roads I'd driven on that weekend though)

The next morning, I showed up for the AOW class I was supposed to take. I think there were two other AOW students. Maybe not... I might have been the only one. There were plenty of Open water students though. I was told that my first task would be to go set a dive flag with one of the Divemaster candidates. Cool... I can do that. We set the flag, and came back in.

The rest of the day was spent waiting for my instructor to finish with her OW students, and then attempt to do my AOW dives in between. Navigation was easy... done and over with real quick.

Drysuit... another story. We tried the drysuit dive once, in about 40 feet of water, descending along an anchor chain. The dive plan called for dropping down to about 15 feet of water, to make the buoyancy changes not so severe. I was having a bit of trouble, and was told by my instructor to continue down a little further. When I had problems a little bit deeper, she told me to go farther down. This continued until we were in 40 feet of water, at the bottom of the chain. About 5 feet from the bottom (me being a good student and monitoring my air supply), I had let her know that I had 1200 PSI left (I had burned through 1300 already struggling to figure out this damn drysuit). While were at the bottom, I burned through another 500, leaving me with 700 left. I signaled this to her as well. Each time, she kept giving me signals to continue doing what I was doing. At 500 PSI, I gave her an up arrow and started heading for the surface. I don't remember what exactly was said when we got up there, but I don't remember it being pleasant. I remember having to tell her that I would call a dive whenever I thought it was necessary. And it was. There was no reason to stay down practicing that skill when I was that low on air. I should have turned at 700 PSI.

When we came back into the warehouse, she didn't want to note our tank pressures on the board. Mine was 430, her's was around 600. Either way, it was very close.

She told me that she wasn't confident in my drysuit skills, and that we couldn't do the deep dive that day. No big deal, didn't hurt my feelings any.

The rest of the day wasn't spent doing any dives related to my AOW class. Seeing that my AOW class was essentially over for the day, I wanted to do some shore dives. That idea was veto'd in favor of playing victim for the Rescue Class she was also teaching. So much for shore diving....

I went to bed cranky that Thanksgiving evening, with some very negative thoughts about my instructor.

The next day, we did the dry suit dive again. I held rock solid buoyancy in about 8 feet of water for well over her required time (longer then Padi required, maybe 2 minutes?). I learned the trick of keeping your air bubble in your lower back, and that was all it took.

We did the deep dive next... and she had problems descending (her ears wouldn't clear) She didn't want to thumb the dive, and kept trying. This took us about 10 minutes. After that, we slowly (vis was about 2 feet) followed the ground contour down to 60 feet, deep enough to meet the requirements.

Did I mention that 60 feet in black, cold, murky water feels INSANELY different then 120' in Hawaii?

Anyway.. this will be a two part post... I'll finish the rest a little later.

Looking forward to part 2. My guess on the Light Cannon (I also have one, and it suits me just fine) is that it was a bad bulb. Sometimes they ship with them bad. Mine did. Took it back to the shop, and he just gave me a new one, put it in, and the light worked fine. Bulbs are pricey, though (You'll notice soon enough).

Also, as to the differences between costs in Hawaii and costs in Alaska, I would imagine that there's a bit of economies of scale working there. More divers in Hawaii mean More sales which means lower fixed costs which leads to Cheaper prices. Also, more dive shops means more competition which means lower prices.

Just my guesses, though.

fairbanksdiver:
............. The dive plan called for dropping down to about 15 feet of water, to make the buoyancy changes not so severe. .............

At that depth, that's where the buoyancy changes are MOST severe!

When GUE does it's fundamentals class, its' all done at around 20 feet. The reasoning is, if you can hold you buoyancy, trim, and skills at that depth, you can do it just about anywhere.

fairbanksdiver:
I was going to post this in the "point of pain" thread, but it gets a little offtopic, and should maybe be in its own post.

I have a lot of complaints about my LDS. The "point of pain" to me is less about money, and more about the way the shop does business, and treats its customers.

Anyway.. this will be a two part post... I'll finish the rest a little later.

I hear you. I really want to support my LDS, but their prices are often crazy.

$450 for the same computer that I can buy for $320 online. If it was $30 or 40 that's one thing, but $130 difference! I ended up buying almost everything online and it all works fine (I did have to return certain items that didn't fit properly though, but I bought most of them locally - Wetsuit, gloves, boots etc.)

Sounds like you got some dubious instructors too.

Gear is nearly always included in price of OW class.

Likewise it is nearly always an extra rental fee for AOW class. This should have been explained when you signed up, though. And you should have been offered an opportunity to buy some gear at a discount at this point in time as well.

For better or worse, the majority of your story sounds fairly unremarkable and not at all uncommon. There are indeed some LDS that provide exemplary and unparallelled buying experiences and training scenarios. They are few and real gems when you find one.

If you don't have alot of choices in your area, best to learn how to express your needs and desires clearly and get clearly understood answers from the owner of the shop as to what is expected and what will be delivered. And please also allow some lattitude for flexibility in dive sequence and planning--such as when a student cannot master the drysuit buoyancy in one dive (and how many can??) or when a practice victim is needed for the rest of the group (though I would rather have seen a more practiced diver given this task).

In main, your choices are to come to terms with the services offered by the LDS and their ways of doing things -- OR -- get the training and gear that you require and then go diving other places and with other people.

Have fun and dive safe,
theskull

The LDS did not have more than one Light Canon? In three weeks, they could have just ordered another, and had it shipped. Not very good customer service IMO but maybe I am misinformed about how long things take to ship to AK. I'd think three weeks is enough time?

AOW does NOT include gear (other than tanks/weights/air) at EVERY DS's I checked into. If you were told otherwise I can understand your getting upset, but I've NOT seen an AOW class that included gear including FL where I considered doing my AOW. $100 for gear including a Drysuit does not seem unreasonable for several days rental.

An instructor that could not clear? I can think of many reasons why that could be the case (like a cold) but it's a bit surprising that they would dive in those cases. In my OW class I watched our instructor do 12 CESA's. When decending, the guy was like a fish. He decended quickly in a horz position almost head down. He had his hand on his nose and his buoyancy and control was effortless. He'd arrive at depth and just stop nuteral. At that point I realized what a master instructor (or just a skilled diver) skillset involved.

I'm sorry that your LDS has the attitude they do. I'm sure that the owner must believe that intimidation rather than friendly customer relationships is what is required to compete with shops that have a much larger customer base, and lower overhead online.

Unfortunately if you want to continue training with this facility, it would seem that you need to find some peace with this LDS. I'm guessing that Fairbanks is a place where people do not forget who you are. My LDS treats me in the same pleasent manner that they did the first day I signed up for OW, and they remember me if not by name in the case of some. They must realize that I've purchased most of my equipment elsewhere, but then agian, with the business they do, maybe not.

I think my LDS is VERY happy that I am now doing my AOW there (as I have MANY other local choices) and they always treat me well and truely enjoy discussing diving.

Lack of local competition can be a very bad thing.

I'll be interested in reading ...Part II.

Ron

Wow - an LDS that's higher than Hawaii! Our prices tend to be quite high here to begin with, and a local population that (in general) simply pays sticker prices on everything I don't see that changing. I shop across the street from Lahaina Dive shop at Pacific Dive, both are very good shops, Pacific tends to be one of the lower priced dive shops on the island and I still find them to be about 50-100% higher than leisurepro and other online shops.

I am very fortunate that they know I shop online, are grateful for the business I bring them (I also send folks to them whenever possible) and they treat me with a great deal of professionalism and respect. I like that and as a result will continue to give them any business I can.

Possibly one factor over here is that a majority of dive shop business is tourism, so equipment is only a portion of a well diversified business plan over here. My LDS fills tanks for all the resorts, sells activities, rents equipment, teaches courses and offers guide services. . . oh and they sell some equipment lol.

I like what Larry from Scubatoys has said "If a business can't figure out what the future brings, and mold their model accordingly, it is unfair to ask the consumer just to pay more money because that business man is incompetent."

Hope you can work out an equitable solution between you and your LDS, kind of hard when you only have one choice (There are "some" dive shops in my area I refuse to give any business to because of their "customer treatment plan")

Aloha, Tim

P.S. if nothing else, you are welcome to come back to Maui on the weekends!

After that deep dive... that was the end of my AOW class. I had already done the night dive 6 months earlier, and we were able to count that as part of the class.

After finishing my deep dive, I spent the remainder of the day assisting with her other classes. I much rather would have gotten in some real diving, but that clearly wasn't how they intended to run things. There should have been some recently OW certified divers to dive with... but most were conned into starting AOW not an hour after their last OW dive. "We can do your drysuit and nav parts while we're here on this trip, if you want to start AOW".

So... felt like that trip was wasted. It was a very expensive trip (250 for the class... 300 or 400 for the trip, and 100 for rental gear), and I didn't feel like I received anything of value from it. The value of AOW itself was dubious... I actually never bothered going back to the shop and finishing the tests

I did receive a new light cannon... turns out, it was the bulb that had gone bad during shipping. Course.. when I went to pick it up, I got to hear all about how I needed to sign up for an ice diving class, and start figuring out what gear I wanted to buy.

That was all about a year and a half ago. This entire story spans the course of about 3 years. This past summer, I went down to Oregon with my wife, and did some real great diving in the Newport area, and also some basic skills practice in the local lake (which had awesome vis... 20-30 feet). I'm now up to 75 or so logged dives (there's a lot I don't count), and am proud of my skills in the water.

When planning my Wife and I's trip to Hawaii this spring, I decided that I wanted to do a bunch of diving while we're there, and figured that buying gear and doing shore diving would be a fairly economical idea. So that's what I'm up to. I called up Larry, and ordered gear, and I couldn't be happier.

I need to go out to my LDS this next week, and we'll see if their attitudes have changed any. At the height of my problems, they had just switched locations into a massively new building, which I imagine didn't make things easy for them... although that doesn't excuse a lot of the attitudes / behavior. I haven't been out there for a year and a half, and maybe things have calmed down.

Honestly... if it's still the same... it won't bother me one bit. I leave Alaska for the summers to go to Oregon, and don't do a lot of Alaska diving anyway. I was thinking about hitting Valdez with them again in February... but they've got a certification trip scheduled the same weekend, and I imagine I'll just end up playing assistant instead of doing any dives that benefit me. I'm not interested in paying for a trip, where all I do is help them out.

Ultimately, I move out of Alaska next year, and will find a new LDS in Oregon. There were already a couple that I was really impressed with... Eugene Skin Divers, and a small outfit out of Corvallis.

So to respond to a few things that have been said...

Saipanman said...
I would imagine that there's a bit of economies of scale working there.
True, but my LDS's prices are usually marked above MSRP, whearas I was noticing MSRP pricing in Hawaii.

And you were right about the bulb... that was the faulty item. I've sinced replaced it twice (once was a post I made here a while back... I knocked the light cannon off my desk...really stupid $80 mistake)

Detroitdiver said...
At that depth, that's where the buoyancy changes are MOST severe!
Unfortunately, the dive location doesn't allow us to get deeper then about 30 feet at high tide, and that's even stretching it a bit. There's a ledge where it starts sloping down to several hundred feet, but most training activities are conducted on the shore side of that ledge.

Theskull said...
And please also allow some lattitude for flexibility in dive sequence and planning--such as when a student cannot master the drysuit buoyancy in one dive (and how many can??) or when a practice victim is needed for the rest of the group (though I would rather have seen a more practiced diver given this task).
It's not that I didn't allow for understanding in this matter. I'm well aware that schedules are subject to change, and that wasn't what I had issue with. What I had problems with, is that there were not enough instructors available for the number of students that they took with them. 3 instructors (if that... I'm thinking more like 2) were on hand for about a dozen students in 3-5 different classes (OW, AOW in 2 or 3 stages, and a Rescue class) I don't think I had more then 2 or 3 hours of instruction for the entire AOW class, and that would be spread out over an 8 hour dive day. The other 5-6 hours were spent sitting around, or helping out other students.

As far as the practiced diver as a volunteer bit goes... I don't know. I had 60 dives going into the AOW class, and was very comfortable with my in water skills. My buoyancy control is usually rock solid, but the drysuit threw me for a loop until I figured it out. I knew what I was doing wrong the first dive, and immediately corrected it the 2nd dive. Playing victim is easy enough... really doesn't require much skill.

RonFrank said...
The LDS did not have more than one Light Canon? In three weeks, they could have just ordered another, and had it shipped. Not very good customer service IMO but maybe I am misinformed about how long things take to ship to AK. I'd think three weeks is enough time?
Yeah, that's exactly the point. They didn't bother. They waited 3 weeks to ask their "expert" (only so qualified because he happens to use the same light...) In waiting that long they kept me from using a product I specifically bought for that trip. And they didn't bother to communicate with me what was happening.

More from Ron...
If you were told otherwise I can understand your getting upset, but I've NOT seen an AOW class that included gear including FL where I considered doing my AOW. $100 for gear including a Drysuit does not seem unreasonable for several days rental.
And that was the problem... I was told otherwise. I was told that AOW would cost me X amount (thinking it was $250) + the cost of the trip (thinking $400). The sheet that explained the prices said that I needed to have my own light, knife, and compass. That's why I bought the light and compass in the first place. This policy was changed just prior to the trip (or the sheet I was given was old), and I had to pay the extra cash.

Jeez Ron, I'm getting tired...
An instructor that could not clear? I can think of many reasons why that could be the case (like a cold) but it's a bit surprising that they would dive in those cases.
She did have a cold, and had problems clearing all weekend.

Last thing from Ron
Unfortunately if you want to continue training with this facility, it would seem that you need to find some peace with this LDS. I'm guessing that Fairbanks is a place where people do not forget who you are

I have found my peace. They've turned over their staff, and I highly doubt I'll run into any of the people I had negative experiences with in the past. I won't use them for training anymore, and will likely only buy air from them. I'm moving soon enough that I don't have to worry about developing much of a relationship for the future.

Anyhoo... that's the saga. Somewhere in the middle of all of this I found Scubaboard, and have spent a large amount of time reading the wealth of knowledge on this site. I was finally able to buy gear on my college student pittance of a salary, and I'm planning on being a much more active diver in the future.

I love diving... and like someone said, as much as I dislike the way I came into the sport, as soon as I'm underwater, I could care less.

-B.

fairbanksdiver:
. . . That was all about a year and a half ago. This entire story spans the course of about 3 years. . .

Curious as to why you would bother posting this long story 3 years later.

You have since solved your issues and moved on.

You have been reading alot of SB and already know that these are all common repetitive complaints.

You're about to move to another part of the country where it will all be moot anyway.
--------------------------
And you left out the happy ending until after we made efforts to give suggestions and explanations.

What gives?

theskull

Yeah, but it all sort of drew to a close for me here recently, as I realized that I could get everything I wanted from a dive shop without dealing with them. Just figured I'd share my experiences.

I did warn that part two was coming... I was distracted by your suggestions and explanations, and wasn't able to fully tie in the point I was trying to make, which is this:

If this is the way that dive shops want to act (and as you mentioned, this is far from uncommon), then what is the solution for the future?

I've read a lot of posts where people have good relationships with their LDS, and are able to get the services they desire. They're happy to shop at the LDS.

I've read a lot of other posts where the LDS is no longer an option, for a number of various reasons. These people have attempted to find an alternate solution, in any number of online dive shops...

But do those who are screaming "support your LDS at all costs... you need them and they need you" really understand the full implications of what that means? I wrote this lengthy post to try to detail just how frustrating and far reaching these problems can be. It's far more then "My LDS has crappy prices and the internet is cheaper"

Why should I support a shop that has behaved in this manner in the past? Why should anyone expect me to?

That's what I was trying to say with this post... sorry that point got lost in the story, I hope its more clear now.

-B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom