Why is Little Cayman diving better than Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dive both GC and LC frequently over the past 15 years and in my opinion, LC wins every time. GC North and East walls are pretty good and occasionally you have a great dive but Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson;s Bight on LC have provided consistent great diving. More critters, healthier reefs, less diving pressure and more turtles and pelagics.

Pretty unusual not to be able to get out to Bloody Bay on LC on account of weather, but I've been on GC frequently when the North was blown out.
West side diving on GC is not in the same league.

The island of GC itself is overbuilt, heavily populated, and full of cruise shippers and jewelry stores. LC and the Brac are quiet and near pristine.

imo not better just different as I said. I also have pictures but everyone is due their own opinion. Wall diving at Little Cayman much better. That said, there are some amazing sites at Grand Cayman that are not seen anywhere else. I'm thinking Devils Grotto in particular and the wreck of the Kittiwake.

I read that you can dive the Keith Tibbetts wreck on Brac from LC but it's a one hour boat ride, anyone dive it and the Kittiwake? How do they compare?

I can't compare the two because I haven't dove the Kittiwake, but I will say that I like the Tibbetts better as a night dive. Other than that, it is just a neat checkoff to be able to say you have dove on a Russian warship. One thing I would caution you about is getting your heart set on diving the Tibbetts from LC. I am not sure about Pirates Point, Conch Club, or Southern Cross Club, but LCBR has either a 6 diver or 8 diver minimum to make the trip to the Tibbetts and I believe there is a small extra charge to do it. Out of the last several trips we have made to LCBR, I have only seen them get enough takers on the trip to go over there once. If you really want to dive the wreck, I would consider a trip to the Brac (which has great diving as well) to be sure you get a chance to dive it.

I haven't dove the Kittiwake either, but can confirm the bit about boats not always going to Brac from Little Cayman. I haven't seen LCBR make the trip in our last several trips there. I think maybe people were more interested before it got trashed by storms, but anyway they don't seem to get the interest anymore. I'm not sure they even bother mentioning the possibility, so if you are there and want to go you might increase your odds by encouraging your boatmates and dinner companions.

I've dived both and can compare. The Kittewake is intact, wide open and penetration of the wreck is easy. Has not been down long enough for soft coral and sponge growth. There is a school of jacks that swims around it. There is a nice wall dive that can be done as part of same dive if you are just cruising past the outside of the wreck.
The Tibbetts is getting broken up but it is still imposing, especially around the gun turrets. It is aluminum so not much growth on the hull either. There is an ok shallow reef nearby once you get bored of the wreck. The ride over and back from Little Cayman can be pretty rough and wet, so I only dive this wreck if I am on the Brac already.
I would not give up a day of diving at Little Cayman to make the crossing just to dive the Tibbetts.

I see more divers make the trip from LCBR in summer than winter. Mostly because of weather conditions, but also because LCBR has a high number of return guests and many feel that once is enough. Last year, I believe that they were charging $30US per person and had an 8 or 10 person minimum for the trip.

I have done at least 7 dives on the Tibbetts, beginning shortly after she was sunk. These were always from the Brac, and none have been night dives. But, a night dive does sound interesting.

Last edited:
The return guest theory makes a lot of sense. I did do it twice from LCBR long ago, and the second time was only because we were with friends that hadn't been there.

Tibbets- worst dive in Caymans
Kittiwake-Newer version of the worst dive in Caymans

Never leave Little Cayman to dive the Tibbet's. Never leave any other dive site on Brac to dive the Tibbet's.

Just my opinion, and you know what opinion's are like. Cheers

Tibbets- worst dive in Caymans
Kittiwake-Newer version of the worst dive in Caymans

Never leave Little Cayman to dive the Tibbet's. Never leave any other dive site on Brac to dive the Tibbet's.

Just my opinion, and you know what opinion's are like. Cheers

Agreed, Atlantis might also fall into this category while on the Brac.

I've dive both GC and LC frequently over the past 15 years and in my opinion, LC wins every time. GC North and East walls are pretty good and occasionally you have a great dive but Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson;s Bight on LC have provided consistent great diving. More critters, healthier reefs, less diving pressure and more turtles and pelagics.

The island of GC itself is overbuilt, heavily populated, and full of cruise shippers and jewelry stores. LC and the Brac are quiet and near pristine.

Couldn't agree more. In 6 dives, IIRC, I saw 4 black tipped reef sharks and probably 6 turtles. And the reefs are in great shape. I'm hooked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom