Why neutral buoyancy isn't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
It may depend on your definition of negligible, but I actually enjoy the gentle rise and fall I experience while hovering and "neutral". It's quite perceptible. But one really doesn't have to make a conscious EFFORT to synchronize the breathing -- if your breathing is rhythmic and you have adjusted your buoyancy appropriately, the exhale (arrest rise)/inhale (arrest descent) process proceeds pretty much by itself. But it's fun :)

You're right. When hovering, often during one's safety stop, the gentle rise and fall is perceptible and feels quite natural. For me, the slightest bit of finning obscures that.

Garrobo:
And I will use up as much air as is necessary for me to stay down (along with my dorkie Force Fins) and enjoy the greatest pastime going, "experts" or no "experts".

It's clear that you don't "need" them, but have you tried the Apollo Bio-fins?

Apollo Bio-fins? Never heard of them. The reason I use the Force Fins is because they have eliminated any leg cramps. When I first started diving it was cramps all the time. An instructor let me use a pair of his FF's and the cramps went away. Sold me.

Garrobo:
Apollo Bio-fins? Never heard of them.

Yes, they've also started offering those dilettante spring straps "the experts" are always raving about.

Wildcard:
I wish I could write like that....May I use that for PPB classes? Very good job outlining bouyancy along with the proper input form the new diver that knows it all to prove the point.
Sure.
If it can help someone to understand better and to ultimately control their buoyancy better, then I'm a happy camper :D
Rick

427Dave:
Great write up Rick. You have a gift. I am going to print it out and take it to our club meeting, if that is OK.
Please do... :)
Rick

So, Rick, where's the piece on situational awareness?

:D :D

Nice seeng that excellent piece again, Rick! Thanks! :thumbs_up:

Next time, maybe add a section on dry suits.

My biggest concern would be having the certainty that I could easily maintain my 15 ft safety stop without being excessively floaty and having to do the extra annoying work to stay there for three, or however many, minutes.

Garrobo:
there are a lot of divers who have a problem with buoyancy,...I'm just not one of them. ...Air consumption, yes. I can sit on the bottom,
That's the funniest thing I've read on this board yet :rofl3:
N.d.

Back
Top Bottom