Why Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me add one thing --- other than a small investment in time and money, there isn't much downside to taking an EA course and trying it a few times to see if it is worth it to you. Some people swear by it, others don't see a benefit.

For those interested in the science/physiology of diving, the EA course in and of itself is worthwhile, even if you don't use it routinely. For one thing, it reinforces the dive table skills learned in OW, introduces the concept of oxygen toxicity and points out the dangers of EA both underwater and topside. This knowledge might come in handy even if we are only diving with buddies using EA. Learning more about diving can never be a bad thing...

Of historical note: Cousteau, in his early dives, reasoned that pure oxygen would eliminate the risk of DCS, so he tried it. The next thing he knew, he was floating on the surface with his reg out of his mouth. He --- and the diving world --- was fortunate that his career didn't end right there. Divers should all read books like the Silent World and marvel that those guys lived at all! :11:

Incidentally, I understand that PADI has eliminated the two-dive requirement for EA certification and have gone to a didactic certification only.

I think that air should do me for a while (till I'm more experienced). All this talk of tables and stuff is too confusing for a newbie.
On a different topic, ironically, I never learned much at all about DCS, and NO talk about dive tables in my OW classes. I was concerned after I was certified and related to my brother, who did the course with me, that this was more than odd.
That's why I've been so intent on doing AOW, and reading as much as I can about dive tables and DCS as I can. I feel pretty confident about most beginner knowledge/issues thus far, and look forward to getting more dives in.

I was a bit suprised when PADI stopped the dives being mandatory on the Enriched Air Course, I have certified two divers recently that elected to have the dives in their course , which let them analyse their air, plan their dive and program their computers under Instructor supervision before diving on Nitrox under instructor supervision, both were a bit shocked that the non-dive course exists. Where possible I would suggest doing the dives on the EANx course.

For interest I believe there is a 'feel-good' factor associated with EANx diving especially on repetitiive multiple dive days (live-aboards) I have felt amazingly good after diving in EANx after experiencing 'air head' by diving repeatedly on air.

For day to day use I believe air is adequate but eventually Nitrox will become the norm as the tech / rec line becomes more blurred

In recreational Circles Enriched Air and Nitrox are both used to represent air with added Oxygen.

The nitrox / enriched air course is, in my opinion, very very useful and valuable and gives you a better understanding about diving physics, its also worth noting that its PADIs most popular speciality by far.

DivetheRock:
I think that air should do me for a while (till I'm more experienced). All this talk of tables and stuff is too confusing for a newbie.
On a different topic, ironically, I never learned much at all about DCS, and NO talk about dive tables in my OW classes. I was concerned after I was certified and related to my brother, who did the course with me, that this was more than odd.
That's why I've been so intent on doing AOW, and reading as much as I can about dive tables and DCS as I can. I feel pretty confident about most beginner knowledge/issues thus far, and look forward to getting more dives in.

No talk about dive tables in OW??? How can someone be certified to dive without understanding DCS and how to use dive tables? Not everyone uses computers and they can fail in any event. Being new to diving is not a reason to avoid dive tables...they aren't advanced diving, they are essential to any diving. :confused:

In my AOW course during the summer, half the students in the class had absolutely no clue as to how to use tables to plan their dives.

The simple explaination is that nitrox knocks 15 feet or so off the equivalent depth (with respect to nitrogen loading). If this is a benefit to the diver for his intended dive then he should use nitrox.

I use nitrox to extend my bottom time by more than 50% on a normal multi-dive outing. I have larger tanks because with normal 80's I often run out of gas before bottom time, especially in shallower water like 50-75 ft.

If you consider how damn expensive it is to spend a single minute of time on the botom with scuba, you might find that spending an extra $15-$20 per day for nitrox fills represents a "good buy".

I use nitrox for all dives between 60 and 140; air for everything else.

In my limited experience.
If you are boat diving with a group of divers then the depth, and surface intervals will, normally, be set up for Air divers.
Unless you check with the organisers and all the divers are diving Nitrox they will plan the dives for Air.
Thus the only advantage of Nitrox is the extra safety factor of less N2 build up over the diving day and the possible feel good factor of diving Nitrox.

dumpsterDiver:
If you consider how damn expensive it is to spend a single minute of time on the botom with scuba, you might find that spending an extra $15-$20 per day for nitrox fills represents a "good buy".

How very, very true.

I use nitrox for all dives between 60 and 140; air for everything else.

You dive to 140 with EANx? Really? With 32% that's a PO2 of 1.68.... that's pushing the 1.60 O2 tox limit pretty darn hard. I see you're an instructor, so I will presume you know what you're doing. However, you might want to post additional info so that the less informed know they shouldn't try such things (without a LOT of additional training and support crew standing by to fish out their body).

DivetheRock:
What is the primary benefit(s) to doing a Nitrox course (i.e. to using Nitrox)? Is it used for safety, for depth, for longer bottom times? What are the risks, if any greater than plain ol' air, of using it? The reason I'm asking is that the d/s where I got OW certified is now offering an online Nitrox course for $99 (CND.). I thought this would be a good time to take advantage of the price, but thought, "What do I want Nitrox for?".
Could you please give me your opinions on this...I've read a little on Nitrox, but still unclear as to the benefits/advantages.
Thanks.
Have you tried doing a search on this forum? This question has been answered many times.

As others have said, the primary reason to use nitrox is so that you absorb less nitrogen. This means more bottom time.

DivetheRock:

The more your learn about DCS, it's risks, and it's contributing factors, the more you will understand why some of us no longer dive with air.

Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom