Why no computers for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Computers are not DIR.

The question was why?

The answers were given.

Beyond that we can have a fine discussion about who does what but the discussions do not change the premise nor the answers.

But if we didn't have all the superfluous, extra yacking, most of the threads would only be two posts long :D

Funny you mentioned going off topic.....

Caveman- I'm guilty of "look at that cool Seahorse" syndrome myself. I once ran my tank dry watching about ten hermit crabs fighting over an empty shell. It was one of the most fascinating things I've ever watched underwater. I was able to start recognizing individuals, and their different strategies for winning. My favorite was the smallest one, who kept waiting till the action got hot. He'd then grab it and try to sprint away with all the others chasing him through the seagrass.

Disclaimer- I ran dry in a tidal pool. I was in three feet of water and five feet from shore. I was about half an hour into the battle, and really wanted to see who won.

Scott

ScottyK once bubbled...
But if we didn't have all the superfluous, extra yacking, most of the threads would only be two posts long
~~~~~
I was about half an hour into the battle, and really wanted to see who won.
OK... who won?

I ran out of air before it was decided :upset:

If I was a betting man I'd go with the little guy too. He came so close to getting away at least twice. The second time he got behind a clump of grass, and instead of claiming the shell, stumbled back into sight.

It took all my willpower to not interfere on his behalf.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Computers are not DIR.

(4) As I keep trying to tell folks:...CDRYB / LOUD...!!!

(Computers Don't Rot Your Brain / Lack Of Use DOES)

...If you use the computers to EXPAND the performance of your brain, then, ACCORDING TO NASA AND OTHER RESEARCH AGENCIES IN THE FIELD OF HUMAN PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING, then and ONLY then are you TRULY.....DOING IT RIGHT.....!!!

(Ref: Various NASA Ames Research Facility reports---PM for cites if req)

As always, do whatever turns your fern!! Of course, apologies to the most ancient, honourable, and powerful Uncle Pug!

BJD:book2:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

(3) Our computers do NOT make the decisions for us. They do, however, give us MUCH more information, and increase our situational awareness (SA) WONDERFULLY. Having done flying from the most basic, bare-bones way to the most modern, let me assure you that this increase in SA is "PURE EFFING MAGIC"!!

(4) As I keep trying to tell folks:...CDRYB / LOUD...!!! (Computers Don't Rot Your Brain / Lack Of Use DOES)...If you use the computers to EXPAND the performance of your brain, then, according to NASA, you are TRULY...Doing It....(Sorry, almost couldn't resist that one!) :doctor:

(Sorry, completely off this subject) - out of interest how are you getting on with the hydospace explorer? - what's it like it terms of ease of reading on ascent etc.
I know a VR3 would be easier, but I've never really used pro-planner before, and it always seems to stop very deep and then 'miss-out' the middle bit before seeming taking forever shallow.
Any why if these computer thingys are so good on planes, do the ATP's keep going 'technical' every time I want to be home on time? :) - I'm sure they land the ones here on manual, but I believe Sumburgh is regarded as a challenging airport to land at

I love the display on the HS. It is just so easy to read. I talked to Gene Melton the other day, and both he and Bruce Wienke say that the new issue of the GAP is a matching and full implementation of the RGBM that is in the HS.

As for Sumburgh, you are right. It is a challenging airport, especially in the winter when 'tis a braw brecht moonlicht nicht...Uh...Sorry...when the snow is blowing sideways.

As for the technicals, you know that Mr. Murphy always jumps in there when you're really tired, it's late, and you...JUST...WANT...TO...BE...THERE...!!!! I know how you feel, believe me!

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom