Why no slates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, I think it goes along with the general principle of making you think, and using your brain more than any equipment. Danny didn't say I couldn't take notes; he said he thought it would interfere with me learning to carry the information in my head.

Mike, I think it goes along with the general principle of making you think, and using your brain more than any equipment. Danny didn't say I couldn't take notes; he said he thought it would interfere with me learning to carry the information in my head.
And I agree with and generally follow that approach. The possible exception I've outlined above is for a specific application in systems with limited access.

Are you saying you don't think recalculating thirds on the fly is safe unless you know before the dive the time & gas to any potential area of interest?

If you can keep a running average depth on a 75 minute penetration while simultaneously bookmarking time & gas used for six potential recalc sites AND doing it with a sufficiently high degree of confidence, then bravo.

I suck at recalculating 1/3rds minus (100 or 200 or whatever since I'm often in a team of 2) UW.

I can keep track of times, depths, and distances for up to about 6 places, sometimes more. I'm way better with spatial orientation than with the slightly more abstract on the fly gas re-calculations.

So for now I'm not comfortable bookmarking new areas and recalculating gas at the same time. I'd just do more dives so I am not in this position (cause I know the cave better and don't need to use up bandwidth on the active bookmarking and can dedicate it to the recalculations).

While I could start to do this stuff on wetnotes or a slate, I think that's a hint that I am getting ahead of myself in the cave.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom