Why no titanium regulator for tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

somehow the words "lazy" and "technical diver" just isn't working for me...... TI = HYPE

Hype or not, not what I am trying to get into here. That is why I said cost aside.

Simple ... when Davy Jones comes a calling and screws over your high O2 deco gas brass first stage and for what ever reason completing your deco obligation is not going to happen on your back gas. Your course of action is to take your spiffy Ti reg from your back gas and put it on your high O2 deco bottle. Davy Jones has already screwed with things, most tech divers would prefer not to give him another opportunity by having to use the Ti reg.

This is one good reason I can understand. You are the 2nd person mentioned the exact same reason. It is good enough for me not to use a Ti first stage. I asked is I want to know if there are other reason out there. Those who think Ti is too expansive, just wait and see. I somehow gets the feeling we will see more affordable Ti reg in near future. :)

Have that said, if you are really going to take off back gas reg and put it on deco bottle underwater, this seems also make a good arguement using piston 1st stage for back gas. But it is another topic for another thread.

Aaron, for what it worth i heard that Ti MK25 are prone to cracks around DIN adapter. As for O2 i would not worry as it takes finely grated titanium to ignite (from my youth days and im still alive).
I think Titanium is FAD thats about it..same was for titanium scuba tanks. I like tings as simple as they can be.

I would not say Ti regs are a fad as Ti has excellent corrosion resistance properties. So there is good reason to utilize such materials. Though one can argue successfully that proper rinsing can avoid such issues. But for someone who works at a resort and is constantly in salt water not having to worry so much about rinsing it can be an advantage (especially as rinse buckets can be brackish, dirty water). Still expensive and one can buy a brass reg and a lot of maintenance for the cost of a new Ti Reg. As such, I would not drop $1500 for one but a while back I bought a couple of the first generation Atomic Ti1 regs used. I did a complete overhaul of both the rist stage and both second stages (piston, enviro sealing, exhaust, hoses, knob, mouth piece, etc.) and made them into our travel yoke regs. I did the overhaul myself and in the end the total cost was half the cost of a new B2 with and octo so I thought it a good deal. But to each their own.

I suspect there are some technical divers that use Ti regs. But, many tech divers are a bit resistant to change and take care to minimize any risks no matter how remote they might be. So why bother with Ti when generations of tech divers, including instructors, have used brass regs?

Regarding the cost, I suspect that most tech divers would definitely balk at the extra $500 or so per reg. Plus, it's undoubtedly much easier to find deals on brass regs that have been around much longer, and any tech diver eventually starts looking for deals on gear, or goes broke....

However, I suspect if even one very influential technical diving guru started espousing the need for Ti regs, with some hypothetical scenario that Ti provided the hypothetical solution to, a certain number of divers would rush out and mortgage the house for a few sets. :wink:

My two cents. I personally would not want another reg of a different design. In the last few years, I have slowly transitionded from three or four different models/brands, to just one brand (Apeks). This way I am using the same regulataor on both my back gas and Deco/stage bottles. I have done this for the following reasons:
1. All can be serviced by the same kit, so I dont need multiple kits
2. If I am having someone else service my regs (not normally) its easier to find a shop that will service one brand of reg, than all three.
3. If I am on a trip, and part of my reg setup craps out, easier to swap parts off of one set to the other. For instance, taking the second stage off the deco setup to use on the primary. While this will cause me to adjust my gas plan, it wouldnt nessisarily cause me to cancel a dive.

Aside from being "faddy" (what is the difference in a few ounces of weight in a regulator?)

Titanium when exposed to pure Oxygen at pressure runs an increased risk of EXPLOSION.

Therefore, Titanium is not to be used on high % O2 mixtures. Ti Regs state as much in the instruction manual, if people actually read them.

NASA:
Stainless steels are far more ignition- and burn-resistant than titanium and aluminum alloys and are used extensively in high-pressure oxygen systems

US National Laboratory of Medicine:
A titanium alloy tank containing liquid oxygen exploded during a laboratory experiment. Contamination might have triggered the reaction. An explosion hazard may exist in the use of titanium with either gaseous or liquid oxygen.

Regarding the cost, I suspect that most tech divers would definitely balk at the extra $500 or so per reg.

I know I would! Once you consider 2 backgas regs (Or SM regs), and then two or more stage regs. Yeah, I think I will take four regs and a nice can light and a some backup lights, over 4 regs. :)

I ain't rich......
.... just good looking! :) lol

I would buy Titanium back gas regs, if I won the lottery as big as the last Mega Millions. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I think the biggest thing is that they dont want you to mistakenly use it with higher O2. So by saying no TI there is no chance of that

My two cents. I personally would not want another reg of a different design. In the last few years, I have slowly transitionded from three or four different models/brands, to just one brand (Apeks). This way I am using the same regulataor on both my back gas and Deco/stage bottles. I have done this for the following reasons:
1. All can be serviced by the same kit, so I dont need multiple kits
2. If I am having someone else service my regs (not normally) its easier to find a shop that will service one brand of reg, than all three.
3. If I am on a trip, and part of my reg setup craps out, easier to swap parts off of one set to the other. For instance, taking the second stage off the deco setup to use on the primary. While this will cause me to adjust my gas plan, it wouldnt nessisarily cause me to cancel a dive.

I totally agree. And that is the beauty of Atomic regs - everything is the same but the metal used for the body. Which why I could take 12+ year old regs and completely update them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom