Why north at 180 degrees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is probably a very old thread.. but I wanted to write a response why compasses are 180° turned, hence I registered here! The reason has to do with nautical calculus.

The reason why it is 180° north, is because of the way calculations are done.

Many calculations feature the - 180°, sometimes excluded from shortened formulas when bearing is 180° though optional, hence the 180° offset. A good example is the absolute angle of a target to your own relative heading at sea.

Triangulation.png

Image from the School of Navigation video series on youtube

Formula:
Absolute Angle of Target in degrees = Relative Bearing in degrees + Heading - 180°

Other calculus usages are, amongst others:
- solving angles on a compass

heading (course) = NE = 45°
heading target = W = 270°
45° + 180° = 225°

270° - 180° = 90°

225° - 90° = 135° = angle for a counter-clockwise turn
270° - 45° = 225° = angle for a clockwise turn

- interception (time/distance ratio)
- fastest direction (time/speed ratio)
- AOB calculus (Angle of Bow)
- Determining the of time it takes for a target to reach certain bearing
- Determining bearing/heading (Observation angle relative to own course)

RelativeBearing.png

Course.png

Simplified Attack Disk examples from ThaineFurrows video about the Attack Disk, featuring pragmatic usage.

- Determining a perpendicular attack course to a target
- Determining travel time of in water objects from point A to B (like torpedos)

The subsim forum, a forum for submarine simulators, has various of mods regarding online Attack Disk replicas that also include manuals to do these kind of calculations.
This link offers a file that has the tool for nautical calculus (standalone program), confessing it does require an account there to download.

Alternatively, this link also contains a very visual guide that you can read without having to download mod files (since the attack disk has various of manuals written for it)

I hope that this brief post here has explained why the compasses are made the way they are and that this information written out offers some satisfying background info!

If any questions regarding nautical calculus, let me know.. O.O

Attachments

• RelativeBearing.png
    RelativeBearing.png
    414.9 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom