Why not SPG under the left arm to left Chest D ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I’m the outlier or maybe it just works best for my body - I’ll usually run mine under my left arm and clip off to my right chest D ring. At that position I’ve found it easiest to just glance down and see it occasionally without unclipping it. Seems streamlined to me.

Can you hang your SPG from your chest D-ring? Sure - and many responses indicate that others do as well. You describe your rig as mostly DIR. Are you interested in DIR? If so, I invite you to take a DIR class and learn the cons first hand - and then decide for yourself. DIR isn't just a piece of gear or a place to hang your SPG - it is a complete diving philosophy of gear, procedures, and attitude. Changing one thing throws the whole completeness of the system off. It's about starting with a base system of gear, procedures, and team, and building on it - from the beginning level all the way through tec / cave 2 etc. For example, in DIR there is no such thing as a Rec system and a Tec system. Take a class, and learn the complete philosophy - then the answer to your question will make more sense than a one sentence answer on Scubaboard. Cheers

Once you get used to it on your left hip D ring I don't see any reason to change it that doesn't come with downsides.

DIR evolved from Hogarthian procedures. How do we know that DIR may later adapt clipping the spg to the left chest D-ring? Unless you have a HP hose that's too long it really isn't a snag hazard any more than other hoses. If you've got a scooter or camera it's easier to see without unclipping it. I don't see any real negatives that outweigh the positives to it.

am not doing penetration or cave dives. I don't even do external wreck dives - not interested. Exactly what do you think I'm going to snag on? The coral? Not possible.

Thanks for the reply. Seems to be working great for you. I'm not a worry-wort, OCD, or anal retentive, so don't take my inquiries/comments as anything other than conversational.

Not diving on a wreck really minimizes the chances of snagging on things. Frankly, I don't know where/how you dive, so I'm no authority on what might snag you. I seem to snag/pull things more when on the boat, maneuvering around people, railings, tables, and tanks. I have swam over/around/past rocks and coral where clearances were tight (usually during entry/exit). I strive to keep my gear secured, but still have wrapped my hands and arms around stuff to improve clearance.

<on soapbox>I try to be careful when thinking things are 'not possible' or will 'never happen'. More than once, life has proven me wrong while having that mindset.<off soapbox> As a side note, I also try to avoid situations where I say "here, hold my beer" :wink:

Cheers!

Things get more complicated (obviously) if you're talking about tech diving. But for recreational diving, there's no real reason not to clip off your SPG at the location that works best for you. Kim wears a poodle jacket and tucks her SPG in her cummerbund. Sue wears a back inflate and clips hers to her R chest D ring. With one of those retractor things. When I dive back mount, I clip it to my left hip. None of us have died due to these differing configurations.
Sue has even been using an AIR2 for the last decade, and even that hasn't killed her.

They are very strong and hold tight. You have to pull pretty hard to get it loose. And yes, I would notice, though I am very situationally aware, am not doing penetration or cave dives. I don't even do external wreck dives - not interested. Exactly what do you think I'm going to snag on? The coral? Not possible. I stay at least 5-10' away from anything solid . A passing fish maybe?

You must miss a lot of small stuff, then, since there's no way you can see a little pipefish or thousands of other critters from that distance. Do the smaller critters just hold absolutely zero interest for you?

Of course its all personal preference. But for me unclipping or clipping the spg from/on the left hip d-ring is easy. Its what i learned in the fundamentals course and how i always did it after the course, its easy after a little bit of practice (muscle memory). Its also easy when using a dpv or 2 stages (2 stages takes a little bit of practice, but its not that hard). And i don't look at my spg that much, i know how much gas i use.
So for me there wouldn't be a reason to fix this "problem".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom