Why scuba diver can't share gas with freediver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, that's not for real. It's a pretty darned cool video, but no way.

For once, he dives without a sled and without fins. Dean's Blue Hole is 202m deep, that's twice the world record for constant weight apnea without fins. If the video were for real, he'd be a world sensation, totally shattering the current world record.
Secondly, that dive would be only 12m shallower than the world record in no-limits apnea (sled and lift bag) and 57m deeper than the world record in variable weight apnea (sled, but no lift bag).
Thirdly and most importantly, he admits himself that the video was fiction.
BTW, here's a harsher take on the original claim.

Here's the real deal, though. World record dive, no-limits apnea to 214m. Totally insane!
[video=vimeo;7023806]http://vimeo.com/7023806[/video]

There can be freedivers at 100'! I think my jaw dropped to that depth when I watch this the first time: Freediver at 30m 'The arch' at the Blue Hole

I'll stand by what I posted earlier, but if I can shift the focus a little, I am curious. Where do you draw the line? If you assume everyone at 100' knows and understands the danger, what about 80'? 50'? 40'? How 'shallow'(for lack of a better term) can you when you see someone without scuba gear and still think "this guy 'definatly' has training" and at what depth are you when you're thinking "this guy 'might' have training buuut..."?

OK what is my criteria for participating in this dangerous practice? I have to know the person. It's that simple, rephrase the question would I share air in this manner with my dive buddy or a diver known to me that happens to be free diving at the time? answer yes. Rephrase again would I do that with a stranger? No

Not the answer they are looking for I understand but as we all know a certification is a vehicle to learn how to dive in the real world, reality doesn't always fit the best test answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom